+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what a good debate is all about - considering opinions and thoughts that you haven't before.

And for the record, I would never tell somebody that they are wrong when it comes to such a complex topic.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saxonrose For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-08-2012),beebs  (09-08-2012),MissMuppet  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    Great article thanks ... More confused than ever now and think I shall bow out of this thread ... I'm sick of being told I am wrong when I just don't think I am expressing myself clearly.

Love the analogy in the article tho
    Oh sorry just saw this post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Surely if I am a feminist I would believe in the rights of women first and everyone else second??? So if I am advocating for one group who can I be advocating for everyone ...
    No, you would be advocating for equal social, economical and political rights, an equal playing field. It's not putting everyone else second.

More confused than ever now and think I shall bow out of this thread ... I'm sick of being told I am wrong when I just don't think I am expressing myself clearly.
    Oops, just saw your post before, sorry
    Last edited by Petulia; 09-08-2012 at 07:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Feminists believe in equality for women. It's not that we can't agree on a dictionary definition of what it means lol it's that beyond that overall message there are grey areas and different feminists believe different things. Just like 10 people may consider themselves Christian, and the binding belief is that jesus was the son of god. But the Baptists believe baptism in the way to salvation, catholics believe it's the sacraments and uniting might believe it's thru prayer.

We aren't all fembots lol some of us are redical femists, other 3rd wave, others are structural feminists. The difference in certain areas doesn't mean, like has been insinuated that we somehow don't have a common goal

Eh time for me to bow out I think, I'm getting the twitchy eye lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Petulia  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why is it that people always assume that women are 'made' to take time off from work when the kids are sick or to raise their children. Our first child is due in January and I CHOOSE to leave my job to raise my kids. In fact I am soooo unbelievably excited about being able to stay home with my kids.

and.... I can't see a way for women to get past having time off when the baby is born other than finding some way for men to carry the babies for their entire gestation.
    What happened to women being proud of the fact that they are the only ones that can be pregnant and give birth.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-08-2012),saxonrose  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I think after reading all of this that the confusion comes from the assumption that (bar 1 or 2) those who do not want to be labelled are anti-feminism. Not wanting the label does not mean people are against it.
    This times a bazillion.

By the definitions given here - sure I'm a feminist. But outside of this conversation and in my own mind I'm not. Because I don't *do* anything. I merrily reap the benefits of feminism. I get angry about how some women are treated in this country. I get frustrated with out women and girls are portrayed in media, advertising, etc and I feel deeply sickened by the oppression and exploitation of women in other countries.

But aside from being upset about it and enjoying my sense of equality, I don't *do* anything.

I most definitely don't see feminists or feminism as being a bad thing at all. Not at all. Pro equal rights all the way. But I haven't "earned the right" in my mind to call myself a feminist because equal rights its not something I've personally fought for.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 09-08-2012 at 09:32.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I saw this today, ironically

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344468564.923171.jpg

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-08-2012),beebs  (09-08-2012),Bongley  (09-08-2012),delirium  (09-08-2012),Petulia  (09-08-2012),saxonrose  (09-08-2012),shelle65  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You can be proud of being a mother and a wife and a stay at home mother and still be a feminist. But for those who don't want to do those things (like women who want to work) we now have that choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    Why is it that people always assume that women are 'made' to take time off from work when the kids are sick or to raise their children. Our first child is due in January and I CHOOSE to leave my job to raise my kids. In fact I am soooo unbelievably excited about being able to stay home with my kids.

and.... I can't see a way for women to get past having time off when the baby is born other than finding some way for men to carry the babies for their entire gestation.
    What happened to women being proud of the fact that they are the only ones that can be pregnant and give birth.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Petulia  (09-08-2012),saxonrose  (09-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I have known plenty of women who gave birth and never missed a days work

In a galaxy far far away....
    See I struggle with that. I get the whole women have choices and all that but why bother having children if you have no desire to spend any time with them. Out of interest, did these women's partners stay home to look after their child or did they put them into daycare.

ETA- I don't mean necessarily staying home with them permanently, but even just a couple of weeks during that important bonding phase.
    Last edited by Grebbeci; 09-08-2012 at 09:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Giving Women the luxury of choice, which was traditionally the domain of the male was the very foundation for feminism, and rightly so!

I also think young women today should thank our predecessor suffrogates for their unyielding hard work for the choices we have today.

I also think feminism is still a work in progress - for example flexible work practices. The whole 9-5 thing is based on a 'male ideal', but 9-5 doesn't suit a lot of women, especially mothers! We need to change the way we value work done by women, although we've come a long way.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Petulia  (09-08-2012)