+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We can rename it all we like - it's still the same thing and the same tired old arguments against it will come up.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (08-08-2012),MsMummy  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Tell me what you thought I meant from the statement?

Better still I'll just explain it:
    - If a woman wants to change her life she's got to: find the strength within to overcome hardship, take responsibility for creating the life she wants, respect herself enough to demand nothing short of the best.
    - I don't like fancy trendy names being given to things which are commonsense. Can't we just be human beings taking personal responsibility and making sure we are being treated fairly? (whether it be female, indigenous, migrant, same sex rights etc). Why do we have to be human beings with a vagina advocating a cause?
    - Women who see themselves as fitting into a special category are setting themselves up to be treated unequally
    Uh.. the main flaw in your argument is that less privelleged groups can't just simply "take responsibility" for how others treat them. When a group is marginalised it takes momentum and serious collective strength to make changes. Do you think women should have just individually said to their churches or husbands 100 years ago "enough. I don't want to be raped and forced to do whatever you say..how ridiculous. I'm equal to you." And that would solve all of these women's problems? Should Aboriginal people have just taken more personal responsibility when australia was invaded? I don't think you are seeing what a massive fight women have had for things like the right to vote, to work etc.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-08-2012),Benji  (08-08-2012),BornToBe  (08-08-2012),Guest654  (08-08-2012),headoverfeet  (08-08-2012),LotusMum  (08-08-2012),MissMuppet  (08-08-2012),shelle65  (08-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    We can rename it all we like - it's still the same thing and the same tired old arguments against it will come up.
    Spot on.

I'm actually surprised this thread is still going! Usually the name calling would have started and had it closed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Benji  (08-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    You know what cannot be skewed- homocides. in 2006-2007 10% of homocides were commited on men by someone they were intimate with. The statistic was 53% with women. Women are 5 times more likely to die at the hands of an intimate partner than men are.
    Yes, but logically that would be the case. Men are physically stronger than women. Feminist or not their physiological makeup determines that.
    Women are smarter and tend to put a 'hit' out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    Yes, but logically that would be the case. Men are physically stronger than women. Feminist or not their physiological makeup determines that.
    Or the tiny percentage of women that kill their spouses are more likely battered women who kill to avoid being killed, and then have the nightmare of establishing self defence.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm wondering whether this is why there's [supposedly] far more support for women of DV. For male victims, as you say, the consequences aren't anywhere near as likely to lead to death and, according to hospital stats, broken bones and so on.

I'm not sure how accurate your hit man theory is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No generally speaking woman are more likely to be poisoners.

Theres nothing 'smart' about committing murder whether your a man or a women though.

There is truth though that it is mostly woman who've been abused that murder their abuser and men who abuse mostly murder their victims. Ether way domestic abuse is an awful crime and the victims, women, men AND children often just stay silent.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Or the tiny percentage of women that kill their spouses are more likely battered women who kill to avoid being killed, and then have the nightmare of establishing self defence.
    Agree with that. I know someone who tried to kill her partner twice due to DV. Unfortunately the strength issue came into play. She managed to get away finally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    No generally speaking woman are more likely to be poisoners.

Theres nothing 'smart' about committing murder whether your a man or a women though.

There is truth though that it is mostly woman who've been abused that murder their abuser and men who abuse mostly murder their victims. Ether way domestic abuse is an awful crime and the victims, women, men AND children often just stay silent.
    No there's nothing 'smart' about it but I guess for some people that it gets to the point where they feel it's their only option.

Slightly off topic but just finished a book called "don't tell mummy" it's an appalling insight into the treatment of an abused child in britain not that long ago. And the book "Dancing with the devil" by Amy Norman is an exceptional book about a woman struggling to escape the hold of DV.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a great thread. I sometimes get shocked that people are still having these kind of debates, like I am when I hear a derogatory comment about gay people or someone of another race. I'm amazed that everyone hasn't moved on from that kind of thinking. Anyway, I digress.

The definition of feminism is:
    The advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.

I am a feminist. I have no qualms calling myself a feminist because I subscribe to the definition, to what the term actually means. If some people misinterpret the term, or misuse it for their own agenda, that is unfortunate but it does not change the definition. Most of the time I realise it's not my problem if someone makes incorrect assumptions about me/feminists because of their misinterpretation of the term, it is actually their responsibility to educate themselves. Sometimes, however, I feel the need to educate

My boyfriend is also a feminist. Penis and all

17. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Petulia For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (08-08-2012),Atropos  (08-08-2012),beebs  (08-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (08-08-2012),Guest654  (08-08-2012),LotusMum  (08-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (08-08-2012),MsMummy  (08-08-2012),shelle65  (08-08-2012),WorkingClassMum  (08-08-2012)