+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think it's fair enough if someone doesn't identify as a feminist they don't call themself one. My mind just boggles sometimes that feminists are so often accused of not caring about the rights of others yet I've never heard of an animal rights activist who works for RSPCA being slammed - "you only care about the animals, what about me".
    I have I've had that type of thing thrown at me as a vegan many times.

As for the feminist thing, I identify as a feminist. In my journey I have discovered that is is pointless to get into these sorts of arguments

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't like the feminist label.. because obviously some extremists make it very unappealing.

But when it all comes down to it, of course I'm a feminist. I don't believe women and men are equal.. of course we're not, we're completely different.. but I do believe both women and men deserve to be respected, and make their own choices on how they live their lives.

In my own household, I do pretty much everything. I work 3 days a week, do 99% of the parenting, 99% of the housework. I have a 2 year old and a 1 year old and my DH has never changed a nappy or given them a bath or gotten up once during the night. Not because I'm a lowly woman who should be doing all these things, but because I'm a STRONG woman, who CAN do everything!

A lot of feminist women look down on me when I tell them the above, because they think I'm letting women down - and that's part of the reason I don't identify as a feminist. Because some women don't respect my right to live my life the way I want to, or tell me I should leave him. Well I won't be doing that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Grebbeci  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I have I've had that type of thing thrown at me as a vegan many times.
    Really? Bahaha. You care about animals? Gee, you must really hate people then!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    No, not really. Because to say you are egalitarian but not feminist is to say you are vegan but not vegetarian.
    No it doesn't make sense does it lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Feminism is just as much about women's rights as men's.

Feminism identifies men are more than an animalistic testosterone driven beast that cannot control his basest instincts. Feminism identifies that men can be just as nuturing and caring and intelligent, articulate, artistic and eloquent as women

Patriarchy has long held that a man who is kind and considerate, loving and nuturing is somehow less of a man, and women who are strong, verbal, forceful are ball breakers, butch brutes.

Femisnism means that people can choose their roles in life, to be a follower or a leader, to be nuturers or provididers. Feminism means people have the right to choose to sit at the back of the bus of life travels, stand, drive the bus or walk IF THEY WANT.

While women in the Middle East get shot dead by family for choosing their own husbands, while women in get acid tossed in their face for leaving their forced marriages, while rape in marriage is not a crime world wide, while despots and megalomaniacs run countries for their own benefit, while rape is used as a weapon of war, I WILL be a feminist

For my daughter's sake AND FOR MY SON'S SAKE I will wear my 'label' of feminist, no matter how 'distasteful to some' with pride.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (07-08-2012),Atropos  (07-08-2012),beebs  (07-08-2012),BornToBe  (07-08-2012),Bubbles10  (08-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (07-08-2012),FiveInTheBed  (07-08-2012),headoverfeet  (07-08-2012),Lillynix  (08-08-2012),LotusMum  (08-08-2012),MissMuppet  (07-08-2012),shelle65  (07-08-2012),Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    Well it's kind of like saying you are vegetarian and vegan isn't it??
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    That was the point I was getting at .
    Someone that is Egalitarian is also by definition a Feminist, that's a part of the idea of equality for all. But someone who is a Feminist is not by necessarily also an Egalitarian.

What amuses me is that there are several people saying they're Feminists but they want equality for everyone. They also say that people who don't identify with Feminism don't actually understand Feminism, but that doesn't make a person not Feminist.
    I think many of the people making those claims are actually Egalitarians, they just don't realise it! I suspect many are actually Feminists that don't have any interest in the equality of other groups simply because their problems have no impact on women's rights.

Either way, I think Feminism is definitely worth fighting for. It's just that women's rights take no precedence over anyone else's for me. Everyone deserves the same equality .
    Sorry if everyone's moved on, I had to actually do work at work (I know, I know I'm getting the union onto it asap) so now I have to BH on my own time.

I think it's different. You can have quite idealogically different reasons for being a vegetarian and a vegan. I think it's more like saying you're a Christian AND a Catholic, or Anglican, or whatever, but sort of... inverted, if that makes sense? So you have the broad church of egalitarianism, and lots of little sects of other 'isms', and just as you can't be a Catholic without being Christian, you can't really be egalitarian without being all the isms. You don't have to identify with one more strongly than the others, but you do have to believe in them. For me, if you call yourself an egalitarian then of course you are a feminist. You don't have to label yourself a feminist, that's your prerogative, but to me it makes logical sense. (i promise I won't call you a feminist to your face )

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Aaand, reading over the last few pages, y'all covered everything I said already as you were...

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What a great discussion, it's wonderful to me that there are so many strong, passionate feminists on the hub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't identify as a feminist. I really don't give a hoot about what may or may not dangle between someones legs. Fairness, respect, justice etc will be given and demanded depending on the situation and regardless of a persons sex.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    My heart breaks for so many women on the hub. Struggling to fullfill a role under the expectations of others, often with little to no support from their partners because being a Stay at Home Mum (often confused with being a Stay At Home Maid) is 'womens work'. Husbands who expect or even demand dinner waiting for them on the table when they arrive home from a long hard days work, the household spotless, children quiet and not demanding of their time because they are tired. Oh and lets not forget the sex expectations, regardless of how exhausted she is from being up with children or just being run down herself or any other reason.

I know for many of us this seems so surreal. I certainly couldn't imagine my husband doing any of that. But for many women this is still reality. I read about it so often on the hub and even know people living like this IRL. Where their choices seem like a distant thought or surreal. I have no doubts that for some people this is a choice but I am talking about women struggling and even drowning without their partner offering them a lifeline because of societies expectations. Feminism is still just as needed today as it was 20 years ago IMO
    Is feminism needed or just a set of balls to demand the men step up?