+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    TL- that is NOT feminism. Feminism is about equality, not hate and violence.
    ETA- That is actually sickening, horrific. I am a feminist. I don't hate men or want to harm men. I LOVE men! Some more than others it's true but this- I don't know where it came from- if it is being touted as feminism, well, it explains wny women are saying they aren't feminists.
    Don't bother. Have you ever see the signature? Not sure if it's still there as I'm on my phone all the time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Men being conditioned from a young age to think that "feminine" is somehow bad is such an awful thing and is exactly the reason that feminism needs to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    M
    I do think that the word 'feminist' is far too close to the word 'feminine' for most men to be comfortable with it. After all, most men are conditioned from a young age that being 'feminine' isn't good.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),saxonrose  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post

And I would never tell someone they are something if they don't feel it, or want it. Yes, even for brunettes. If you are brown haired but feel blonde, then I'll never make you identify as brunette. Its all very personal. And labels do not define us nor our beliefs.
    Sorry everyone - I really need to learn how to multi quote across pages! I'll stop taking up all the space soon... promise...

Erghhh... I see the point you're making, but I can't totally agree.

Like, if someone said to me "Are you a human?" And I then answered "No" (because I didn't identify as one), well... they might decide not to argue with me/ to humour me, but the fact is that - technically - I would still be a human.

And if I was describing myself as blonde when I am brunette, then okay... But I am not technically correct. I might feel like a blonde. But no one else would recognise me as one or describe me as one, and if there had to be a legal note of my hair colour then it would be brunette.

I think this was the point Atropos made in starting the thread. Most people who say they aren't feminists actually ARE (by the definition), but they just don't like the word. But they still are.

And that's why she was asking if there were any who say they aren't feminists who really don't want equality for women. Otherwise it comes down to a name thing, and if we said:

"Believing in equality for women is now called Squarblism. Are you a squarblist?"

Then I reckon everyone would say yes. Atropos was asking who would say no.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),beebs  (07-08-2012),shelle65  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have now read the word feminism so much, it has lost all sense to me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    Sorry everyone - I really need to learn how to multi quote across pages! I'll stop taking up all the space soon... promise...

Erghhh... I see the point you're making, but I can't totally agree.

Like, if someone said to me "Are you a human?" And I then answered "No" (because I didn't identify as one), well... they might decide not to argue with me/ to humour me, but the fact is that - technically - I would still be a human.

And if I was describing myself as blonde when I am brunette, then okay... But I am not technically correct. I might feel like a blonde. But no one else would recognise me as one or describe me as one, and if there had to be a legal note of my hair colour then it would be brunette.

I think this was the point Atropos made in starting the thread. Most people who say they aren't feminists actually ARE (by the definition), but they just don't like the word. But they still are.

And that's why she was asking if there were any who say they aren't feminists who really don't want equality for women. Otherwise it comes down to a name thing, and if we said:

"Believing in equality for women is now called Squarblism. Are you a squarblist?"

Then I reckon everyone would say yes. Atropos was asking who would say no.
    Thank you, yes. I am now a squarblist, and proud of it!! Haha!

But yeah that is exactly what I was getting at. The most basic definition of the word seems to be what we all want, so we are all on the same page except for the fanatics and semantics I think.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Came into this thread thinking I was not a feminist, leaving realising that's exactly what I am! Thanks ladies

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Maker For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),beebs  (07-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (07-08-2012),Guest654  (07-08-2012),headoverfeet  (07-08-2012),Lillynix  (08-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (07-08-2012),River Song  (07-08-2012),saxonrose  (08-08-2012),shelle65  (07-08-2012),Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Maker View Post
    Came into this thread thinking I was not a feminist, leaving realising that's exactly what I am! Thanks ladies
    Really? How cool!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I agree with what you are saying, but for me, I feel it is not all sorted for women in the world - and until it is, then I believe we still need to fight for equality. That doesn't mean in any way that that is all I am about, that it is the only thing that defines me. I am a feminist but am so many other things as well. An Egalitarian society is the dream.
    (My bolded).

You say it's not sorted for women and that until it is, we still need to fight for equality.
    But you also say that an egalitarian society is a dream, giving the impression that you think it's either unlikely, or imaginary and therefore not able to be a reality.

So from what you've said, you'll fight for the equality of women, but not everyone else because you either feel it can't happen, or won't ever come about?
    That confuses me. Why would you feel that a society where women are equal is worth fighting for and able to be a reality, and yet a society where EVERYone is an equal is not something that could happen?

(This is a genuine, healthy curiosity, I'm not trying to offend at all!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    "Egalitarianism is a trend of thought that favors equality among living entities. Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status." This is me.

"Feminism
    is a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women." This is not me.

The reason that I make the distinction is that Feminism is SOLELY about equality for women. Whilst it's a noble cause that is not the only thing I care about.
    Someone can tell me I'm a feminist all they like. I'm not. It might be part of my ethos but that title certainly doesn't define my entire moral compass. My focus isn't that narrow.

I agree that I want equality for women. Just as I want equality for everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation or any other variable you want to throw in there. Women don't take precedence just because they've been oppressed in the past (and still are at times, I'm not naive). Many people have been oppressed for many reasons. Focusing on one group as more deserving of equality activism seems like saying that they're more deserving of equal rights than anyone else that's been oppressed.

Everyone is deserving of those rights, not just the group with the loudest voices or the most backing.
    These are the words I was trying to find ... Thank you!!!

I have been following this thread, seen a few snickers and scoffs at how you can be a woman, want equality but not see yourself as a feminist ... Stop arguing and read this post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Men being conditioned from a young age to think that "feminine" is somehow bad is such an awful thing and is exactly the reason that feminism needs to exist.
    But boys are not picked on or ridiculed for being feminine because it's seen as being weak to be female, they are picked on and ridiculed because it's seen as weak to be a homosexual, (just to note that this is not an opinion I hold). It's the equality between gays and lesbians that needs to be established before young boys can avoid being picked on for being feminine. And on that issue I think that lesbians are accepted far more easily into society than gay males.