+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    "Egalitarianism is a trend of thought that favors equality among living entities. Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status." This is me.

"Feminism
    is a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women." This is not me.

The reason that I make the distinction is that Feminism is SOLELY about equality for women. Whilst it's a noble cause that is not the only thing I care about.
    Someone can tell me I'm a feminist all they like. I'm not. It might be part of my ethos but that title certainly doesn't define my entire moral compass. My focus isn't that narrow.

I agree that I want equality for women. Just as I want equality for everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation or any other variable you want to throw in there. Women don't take precedence just because they've been oppressed in the past (and still are at times, I'm not naive). Many people have been oppressed for many reasons. Focusing on one group as more deserving of equality activism seems like saying that they're more deserving of equal rights than anyone else that's been oppressed.

Everyone is deserving of those rights, not just the group with the loudest voices or the most backing.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),beebs  (07-08-2012),Cazza1981  (07-08-2012),DaddyLarge  (07-08-2012),Guest654  (07-08-2012),Lincolns mummy  (07-08-2012),MissPoss  (07-08-2012),River Song  (07-08-2012),Rutabaga  (07-08-2012)

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I don't identify myself as being a feminist.
    I don't believe I am equal to a man.

I know I am.

In the same way I know the sky is blue. Because it is. Anyone who says the sky is yellow is a moron and I don't give them time or attention (unless it's an awesome sunset.... or smog.... or that time in Sydney there was that creepy yellowy orange dust storm....maybe it was a bad analogy...)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    That's great for you. But not all women have that right. And THAT is why we still need feminism.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Tough love I've read your numerous posts on this topic in various threads. With great respect, you seem to enjoy dropping a bomb and then not responding to anyone who points out how extreme your quotes are.

Numerous posters have pointed out that the person you quote does not identify themself as a feminist. Do you have a response?
    Last edited by Sonja; 07-08-2012 at 11:55.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We dont need feminism we need equality for ALL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with what you are saying, but for me, I feel it is not all sorted for women in the world - and until it is, then I believe we still need to fight for equality. That doesn't mean in any way that that is all I am about, that it is the only thing that defines me. I am a feminist but am so many other things as well. An Egalitarian society is the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    "Egalitarianism is a trend of thought that favors equality among living entities. Egalitarian doctrines maintain that all humans are equal in fundamental worth or social status." This is me.

"Feminism
    is a collection of movements aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women." This is not me.

The reason that I make the distinction is that Feminism is SOLELY about equality for women. Whilst it's a noble cause that is not the only thing I care about.
    Someone can tell me I'm a feminist all they like. I'm not. It might be part of my ethos but that title certainly doesn't define my entire moral compass. My focus isn't that narrow.

I agree that I want equality for women. Just as I want equality for everyone, regardless of gender, age, sexual orientation or any other variable you want to throw in there. Women don't take precedence just because they've been oppressed in the past (and still are at times, I'm not naive). Many people have been oppressed for many reasons. Focusing on one group as more deserving of equality activism seems like saying that they're more deserving of equal rights than anyone else that's been oppressed.

Everyone is deserving of those rights, not just the group with the loudest voices or the most backing.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (07-08-2012),MissMuppet  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    Im a man who advocates for true equality, and I certainly identify as a feminist. But that said, I don't get hung up on the supposed power of 'magic' words, but rather embrace the practical meaning instead.

That said, this is something that has always puzzled me. The idea that the gender bias in the literal meaning of certain words ("handyman" was a recent example I saw discussed on here) would be pointed out and objected to by people who embrace the equally gender biased term "feminism" is curious.
    Many words that are actually associated as having a gender bias actually come from an origin that has no relation to gender. For example, the word chairman does not base it's origins in 'a man who chairs' but rather as 'manager of the chair. Many other words containing 'man' actually also relate back to manager. Manager in itself comes from Old French ménagement "the art of conducting, directing", from Latin manu agere "to lead by the hand.

Handyman doesn't fall into that category, it was simply an occupation which at that time was conducted by men. I would have no problem with being called a handyman however.

I do think that the word 'feminist' is far too close to the word 'feminine' for most men to be comfortable with it. After all, most men are conditioned from a young age that being 'feminine' isn't good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post

"Feminism

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    It always amuses me in these threads when people are told 'if you believe in equality then you are a feminist. Simple. End of story. That's all being a feminist is.'

Then in other threads people are accused of being 'too main******' to be a feminist. Um?
    I've never accused anyone of being too main****** to be anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LilMuffin View Post
    In my family my husband is the head of the house and the reason being I can't handle that responsibility I really honestly don't want it. My husband manages all our money and pays all the bills, i used to but became so stressed out that it was causing problems in our marriage. I do feel for the most part equal to my husband however i don't earn the money he earns and never will and i am competely fine with that. As for voting, I hate this example everyone should have a right to vote. I don't want to vote I wish they would bring in a new law that makes it volluntary to vote, it is honestly a waste of my time because I hate politics and everything that they represent. We have come along way since the 50's and 60's but for some people including myself would still like to hold on to some of the traditional values set out by our ancetors. Not everyone is driven to be independent a little dependence is nice at times.
    And that's absolutely fine. I don't think anyone would say that it isn't your right to live how you choose (except for the voting bit, which is mandatory by law). I would only have an issue if you believed that all women should live like that or feel as you do, or if you believed that women should not be allowed to vote.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    We dont need feminism we need equality for ALL.
    We do, but feminism is just one part of that.

We need racial equality, which is another part.

And same sex couple rights.

To say we don't need feminism is to say we don't need those things either.

Equality for all is absolutely what we need, but that is then broken down into smaller parts.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (07-08-2012),Rutabaga  (07-08-2012)