+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post

For me, I find feminism to be an outdated word, there are many men out there who feel exactly the same longing for equality as what women do but none of them are going to identify as feminists. I think in order to move forward in equality there needs to be a more all encompassing term that can be equally adopted by men and women alike.
    Im a man who advocates for true equality, and I certainly identify as a feminist. But that said, I don't get hung up on the supposed power of 'magic' words, but rather embrace the practical meaning instead.

That said, this is something that has always puzzled me. The idea that the gender bias in the literal meaning of certain words ("handyman" was a recent example I saw discussed on here) would be pointed out and objected to by people who embrace the equally gender biased term "feminism" is curious.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (07-08-2012),Lincolns mummy  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Or women attacking women who are attacking other women. Gosh darn, sounds just like what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Yep these threads always end up the same. Feminists attacking women who don't identify as such and either telling them they are actually feminists or making fun of them by posting pictures. Bit passive aggressive. And gosh I wonder why those women don't want to identify as feminists.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I think anyone who says they're not a feminist is either misunderstood as to what feminism actually is/means, or they actually believe that they are lesser than men just because they were born female rather than male. I think the latter would be rare though (though some do exist!)... and most are simply the former.

They see Germaine Greer and think THAT is what a feminist is... and while yes, she is, she's certainly not what you must be in order to be a feminist. She is, IMO, a bit of an extremist and is doing the movement more harm than good in regards to image...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (07-08-2012),Guest654  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If someone can be male but not identify as one, and say they identify as female, and vice versa then I think someone can hold values and beliefs that look like feminism but not identify as one. Some people don't like labels as they pigeonhole people. Labels don't convey the nuances in people's beliefs. Not all feminists think the same things. That's why I say what feminism means 'for me'.

So I do understand why some people don't want to be 'feminists'.

And I would never tell someone they are something if they don't feel it, or want it. Yes, even for brunettes. If you are brown haired but feel blonde, then I'll never make you identify as brunette. Its all very personal. And labels do not define us nor our beliefs.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (07-08-2012),Grebbeci  (07-08-2012),MissPoss  (07-08-2012),Rutabaga  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my family my husband is the head of the house and the reason being I can't handle that responsibility I really honestly don't want it. My husband manages all our money and pays all the bills, i used to but became so stressed out that it was causing problems in our marriage. I do feel for the most part equal to my husband however i don't earn the money he earns and never will and i am competely fine with that. As for voting, I hate this example everyone should have a right to vote. I don't want to vote I wish they would bring in a new law that makes it volluntary to vote, it is honestly a waste of my time because I hate politics and everything that they represent. We have come along way since the 50's and 60's but for some people including myself would still like to hold on to some of the traditional values set out by our ancetors. Not everyone is driven to be independent a little dependence is nice at times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There was one person on BH that one time, do you remember, she said all women should stay at home and serve their husbands and families. That was the way it was supposed to be etc.

She is about the only person that I have ever seen on BH who would not be a feminist. I also get the feeling that most of those objecting are either thinking of the most extreme examples, or they just don't really understand what being feminist means, which is purely equality. The right to choose how to live your life. Easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    And labels do not define us nor our beliefs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Or women attacking women who are attacking other women. Gosh darn, sounds just like what you are doing.
    I haven't attacked anyone? Where?
    I didn't agree with you and asked why it was important to you how someone else lived their life. I just said let it be.
    Hardly attacking. Anyway I don't want to argue cause it's just going in circles.
    I know what I am and what I believe and that's all that is important

Its about accepting other peoples views. Thats all.

Peace.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am about to go around in circles, but - I only asked what it meant, because I don't understand it. I said that in my post.

Anyhow - she has since clarified what she meant and I understand now. All good.

Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I haven't attacked anyone? Where?
    I didn't agree with you and asked why it was important to you how someone else lived their life. I just said let it be.
    Hardly attacking. Anyway I don't want to argue cause it's just going in circles.
    I know what I am and what I believe and that's all that is important

Its about accepting other peoples views. Thats all.

Peace.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't identify myself as being a feminist.
    I don't believe I am equal to a man.

I know I am.

In the same way I know the sky is blue. Because it is. Anyone who says the sky is yellow is a moron and I don't give them time or attention (unless it's an awesome sunset.... or smog.... or that time in Sydney there was that creepy yellowy orange dust storm....maybe it was a bad analogy...)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub