+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Question Not a feminist?

More than once on BH I have seen women say they are not feminists and I really can't understand it- why not? Caitlin Moran puts it perfectly-

"What part of liberation for women is not for you? Is it the freedom to vote? The right not to be owned by the man that you marry? The campaign for equal pay? Vogue by Madonna? Jeans? Did all that stuff just get on your nerves?"

Full article:
    http://www.npr.org/2012/08/02/157728...n-asks-why-not

I'm kind of leaning towards the idea that women who say so have the wrong idea of what feminism is- or am I wrong? Are there women out there wanting to be "repressed", who don't want to vote, who want to be someone's property and who want to be paid less on the off chance they are allowed to work? WDYT?

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Baracuda  (09-08-2012),beebs  (07-08-2012),Boobycino  (07-08-2012),BornToBe  (07-08-2012),elleandsam  (09-08-2012),Mrs Molly Coddle  (12-08-2012),saxonrose  (08-08-2012),scarymarygoldfish  (07-08-2012),Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think a lot of people think feminism = wanting to oppress men or wanting to be men.

When, for me, feminism is about equality and the freedom of choice that our predecessors didn't have. Being able to choose to stay at home with your kids or go back to work - that's a choice women didn't have 50 years ago for example.

I don't believe women are better than men; I believe we are equal to men, and feminism is about bridging that gap because at the moment women are still expected to do more work around the home than men, women still get paid less than men in the same roles (generally speaking - I saw something about this the other day? etc. etc.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),beebs  (07-08-2012),Clarabelle  (07-08-2012),Gentoo  (07-08-2012),saxonrose  (08-08-2012),Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    lol, yeah I hate choice!

I think it's a misunderstanding of what the word 'feminism' means!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrJones&Me For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),beebs  (07-08-2012),Gentoo  (07-08-2012),Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's interesting that there are so many educated women that recoil at the word when they should be embracing it though. Does there need to be education in school about it?? How does one get the word out there without burning bras and hunger strikes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree. I've seen radical feminists from the 60's being quoted on here as examples of feminism. There's radicals in every movement. I just truly believe men and women should have equal rights and equal choice. I also believe people should stop looking in their own backyards and actually see what's happening to women worldwide.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),beebs  (07-08-2012),Benji  (07-08-2012),Bubmum  (07-08-2012),Gentoo  (07-08-2012),Witwicky  (08-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Can you believe all those things without a label though?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),Lincolns mummy  (07-08-2012),PomPoms  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that it just comes down to what people understand by the word 'feminist'.

For some it has connotations of superiority or 'men bashing', and some others seem to think it means you HAVE to go to work when you might not want to. I've also heard some people say that they think it means men and women are identical/ equally capable in every realm.

I've never seen anyone who understands the term properly say that they are not a feminist, nor that they would prefer women not to have choices.

I'd be interested to see if anyone really does feel like that though.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (07-08-2012),beebs  (07-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (07-08-2012),Gentoo  (07-08-2012),shelle65  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    I agree. I've seen radical feminists from the 60's being quoted on here as examples of feminism. There's radicals in every movement. I just truly believe men and women should have equal rights and equal choice. I also believe people should stop looking in their own backyards and actually see what's happening to women worldwide.
    I think we owe those radicals of the early days of the movement a hell of a lot though, but you're right- quoting what they said then isn't usually relevant now.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (07-08-2012),saxonrose  (08-08-2012)

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me, feminism started as a good idea, but quickly escalated to something that our society does not need or want.

I utterly refuse to follow, or allow my daughters to follow, a teaching whose leaders give such helpful and soul-inspiring advice as:

Women MUST and WILL have equality, and this is the ONLY way to achieve TRUE equality. The testicles of all males, which produce the majority of their testosterone, are the primary cause of their violent behavior. The testicles also attribute greatly to many of the health problems men experience later in life (such as prostate cancer and, of course, testicular cancer).

~:The Solution... International Castration Day.:~

It is my belief (which I consider factual based on my research) that all males SHOULD be castrated. Not only for their own safety, but for the safety of all innocent women and children.

And, to achieve this...

The entire world should have an international holiday known as: "Castration Day"

Males of all ages will be brought to the public squares of their cities nude, to stand together in a circle, as they await castration by a woman known as "The Castrator", who will be a woman chosen from the public much like a juror.

Girls of all ages will attend, lining the streets to cheer and applaud the males as they join the rest of civilized society.

It will be a free vacation for any working woman. And, young girls will be able to leave school to attend this glorious ceremony.

The males will then have one hour to get to know their Castrator. Their female "spouse" will also be able to choose whether or not they would like to milk the male in order to retain a sperm sample.

If the male is too young for a "spouse", 10 or under, their mother or closest female relative will decide.

After this, they will be placed on a table, where their Castrator will then slice open their ball-sack, remove their testicles, and the excess skin, stitch them up and clean them up. No need for pain relief; let the young boys and men feel the physical manifesto of decades of Womyns pain. Let them scream.

They will be given thirty minutes to rest after the procedure.

Once the males have all been castrated, they will be grouped together again for one last look before walking nude back to their homes.

The women will then return to their jobs, schools, et cetera, and rejoice in the completion of yet another successful ceremony.

Any man who tries to evade this holiday, "Castration Day", should be murdered wherever they
    are found (treated as a criminal, as it will be a crime not to attend). Or, forced to attend.
    Regardless of age.

Any woman who disagrees should be provided therapy in order to free her from misogynistic indoctrination. If she refuses, she will be humanly killed to purge Man from our society.

This holiday should replace the day known currently as "Father's Day", a laughable notion as there are no fathers, there are only sperm banks with wallets.

If this practice were adopted officially all across the world, all war, crime, and violence would end.

Furthermore, women would be given gender reveals at 15 weeks pregnant, if the child is male, she will have a state funded termination. If she wants to carry the child to term, she will be given mental health assesments to clear her of any un necessary love of her male child, and the child will be taken from her at birth, to be raised with other men.
    any contact with the male species dirties our Daughters and must be swept clear.

We would have a true Eutopia, where peace reigns, and men do only what they exist for...

Breed.

Labor.

SERVE.

Die.

Likewise, the change of their hormones would make them less aggressive, and thus less likely to rape. It would also provide them with better health throughout their life, as the testicles are a major cause of health issues in males as they age.

All will profit from this...

And, I believe this will come to be someday soon.

That is why we do not support feminism in this household.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (07-08-2012),Phony  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I'd be interested to see if anyone really does feel like that though.
    Me too, I just wonder if they will feel comfortable saying so? No judgement (so long as they aren't insisting I do the same) I'm just honestly curious why someone would feel that way,