+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Possibly silly questions regarding definition of 'Day 1'

I usually spot (brown, and no tampon needed) for 36-48 hours before I start my period. I define the start of my period as when it becomes red and requires a tampon. Does this fit with the official word on when to call it 'Day 1'?

Also, my treatment plan (starting my first treatment cycle in a few weeks) states that Day 1 (when I need to call my FS) is the first day you wake up bleeding. Now this seems like a really silly question, but does that mean that if I start bleeding in the afternoon, that the next day (what I would have called Day 2), is actually Day 1 in FS terms, as it is the first day that I wake up bleeding?

So in the following scenario, would Thursday be 'Day 1'?;

Monday - spotting
    Tuesday - spotting
    Wednesday - bleeding (afternoon)
    Thursday - bleeding

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From what I have read yep it would be Thursday but given the spotting it might be Wednesday..I'm sure someone else will be able to help or you could call the FS and ask?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There are no silly questions

Are you doing a blood test on your day 1 or starting your meds?

Usually you wait till the first day of bleeding, not spotting. Even if you start in the afternoon, i'd probably still call that day 1, i do. I think your "day 1" is only a starting point anyway, because you'll have blood tests and scans all the way through your cycle once you start the meds and some girls stim for 12 days because there follicles grow faster and others stim for 16 days because they have slower growing follicles.

So say you started bleeding on the wednesday arvo (and have been spotting a few days before) prob just ring your nurse and she'll either make it your day 1 or make the next day your day 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thursday would be your Day 1. Day 1 is when you have a red flow, not just the brown spotting. If it is after 12 midday when your flow starts then the following day is your day 1. it's all very daunting for your first cycle, best of luck!!

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Full flow (nice visual) before midday is day one. And from my experience your nice, regular as clockwork period does all types of funny stuff when you need it to be predictable. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!

I usually count when it turns into bright red bleed as day one. If it starts after 10pm I go CD 1 the following day. This was from discussing with my FS.
    My AF is only really ever 3 days long with some spotting after so pretty short.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys :-) I have to call on Day 1 to make an appointment for a Day 2 scan. I won't be starting medications until after the scan.

My AF is also fairly short with 1.5-2 days spotting first, then 2-3 days bleeding.

Can't believe this is all starting soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by katherinelouise View Post
    Full flow (nice visual) before midday is day one. And from my experience your nice, regular as clockwork period does all types of funny stuff when you need it to be predictable. Good luck
    ^^^^ this!

Zakmick is offline Can't change the past, but we can learn from it to make us stronger and move forward!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It's interesting reading this thread, all our clinics have differing views on Day 1.
    Mine states day 1 is when you experience a full flow (red), does not matter what time of day it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ...and my clinic says before 6pm full flow day 1, after 6pm full flow following day is day 1...