+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you really should offer the option of food at that age to keep seeing if they are interested. Just try things like a bit of broccoli or cauliflower cooked whole. Both my kida started that way. My daughter eats a combination of foods and also breastfeeds frequently at 14 months. You really don't even need to worry about weaning at all at this age. Even if your LO takes to solids they will still take breastmilk.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So exclusively breastfeeding I mean nothing else but breast milk either the good old fashioned way or expressed.
    I should also mention she was a premie and the doctors told us to give her 4/5 weeks longer for her to achieve milestones - so far she's good smiling trying to sit up all that good stuff. Anyway I would definitely give the option if she needs solids or shows interest, but how do you start? And what if she doesn't would it be ok to just give her breast milk I guess is my question.
    It's nice to know starting solids doesn't mean stopping or decreasing breast feeds! I didnt know that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    It's fine to offer her solids but if she doesn't eat them don't stress
    I love the saying "food for one is just for fun".

Also my DS just wasn't interested in purees and didn't want to eat solids until he was around 8/10 months. He loved his milk.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry have just read opening post... So if I repeat something sorry! It good if you can introduce solids to bub from 6months if she was a full term bub it when she would be 6months if perm (with my first I was all by the book so understand how it is to be a first time mum!) Just start with rice cereal with b/m make it like a liquid then each day make it abut thicker. Give bub finger food is also great so they can learn to eat independently too. It is recommended to start solids from 6months after all. are you concerned that bub won't b/f any more? If it is the case you won't have to worry bub will still want them feeds, but will be alittle less demand on you. Your milk supply will keep up and won't go dry . My youngest is 8months and has never had a bottle of milk even b/m in a bottle yet! But yet eats the house down, still wanting her milk over water (in sippy cup) thou.

also my girl is tiny for her age (weight,size was an average 4month old bub) and had to see a ped with her. we saw him at 7months old and first thing he told us Is she bf and is she having 3 meals a day! Making sure she is doing what she should be for her age. Delaying feeding bub isn't going to benefit her...

Sent from my GT-I9210T using BubHub
    Last edited by MyLittlePrincess; 06-08-2012 at 22:22.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MyLittlePrincess For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I breast fed DD1 to 17 months (she self weaned) and introduced solids at 5 months. She's now 3yo and is a little flea. Food isn't a priority to her, she's not fussy, she just doesn't eat much!

I'm breast feeding DD2 now, she's 4mo and I'll do it til she decides to stop. She's starting to show an interest in watching us eat and makes smacking sounds with her lips while she watches so I'll keep an eye on her for a few more signs of being ready to start solids

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlyWirly For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    "Food before one is just for fun". There are a lot of people that will tell you that after 6 months your baby will need baby rice etc for more iron as their iron stores start to deplete. I will attach link to Kellymom who gives alternative advice.

My daughter is 11.5 months and picks at solids like a sparrow; she has been offered them since 5 months because she was interested. I'd recommend not to force them if you don't think your baby is ready as it can make food stressful for bubs and not fun at all.

Before 12 months introducing solids shouldn't really affect number breastfeeds as it should supplement rather than replace, nutritionally breastmilk is all bubs needs. We do baby-led weaning with our little one; we offer breast first then solids later. Since she is almost 12 months I just offer her solids, little but frequently now as that is what is best in our situation.

By the way; if you choose not to introduce solids for a while you are not alone and there are plenty of mothers that do this. Keep up the good work and just trust your mamma instincts!
    http://kellymom.com/category/nutrition/starting-solids/
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../delay-solids/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MyLittleLilacTree For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    oops that las paragraph didn't make sense; still breastfeeding but offer her solids more frequently now as she's more interested.

P.s. she's 11.5 months and is so chubby it's not funny; so babies can thrive with a predominantly milk based diet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks all for the great info!
    Girlywirly how did u self wean?
    It's nice to know that babies can thrive on breast milk after 6 months. I'm going to offer solids when she's showing interest, so far she's doing so good I hope she keeps it up and my milk keeps coming :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I exclusively breastfed for just over 9 months without the introduction of solids. We then followed with BLW.

The reason was she was thriving and had no interest in food and also had a known food allergy before the introduction to solids so it was just easier for us and her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaomamma View Post
    Thanks all for the great info!
    Girlywirly how did u self wean?
    It's nice to know that babies can thrive on breast milk after 6 months. I'm going to offer solids when she's showing interest, so far she's doing so good I hope she keeps it up and my milk keeps coming :-)
    DD1 weaned all on her own she was down to one feed a night before bed and one night she refused it. I tried a few more nights but she kept refusing so that was it. She never asked for it again. I was a bit sad but I was glad she did it when she was ready

Hopefully it happens the same way with DD2