+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Anyone exclusively breastfeeding past 6 months?

I would like to exclusively breastfeed past 6 months, baby is 4 months and doing great! I enjoy it and we have no issues. I'm lucky I can be a stay at home mum so I don't have to worry about weaning or expressing. I would def feed her solids if she was interested but if she's good breastfeeding should I encourage solids? I would like to keep going till 10 months or so. This is my first baby I would like to know if anyone is exclusively breastfeeding past 6 months and for how long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS (9months) is BF + solids has been very interested in food from even before 6 months.

A bub in my local ABA group is exclusive BF at 10 months and thriving, he has no interest at all in food so mum is offering finger food but not forcing the issue, he'll try it when he's ready.

I guess my advice is if your DD shows no interest in solids and is thriving on BF alone then no harm in that!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To me, exclusively breastfeeding means not giving anything else other than breast milk.
    Is that what you mean?? I am still breastfeeding my 22 month old and we introduced other foods at around 4 months. She still loves to bf even though she eats well. I would think that possibly not introducing solids might not be the best thing for development of things like fine motor skills (eg picking up food and feeding herself). But then I am no expert so please someone correct me if I am wrong!! If you want to continue breastfeeding there is so reason not to while also giving bub solids!! My dd has never refused it!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi, I haven't heard too much about exclusively breastfeeding past 6 months, actually I've never heard of anyone doing this.

From what I have heard is that the world health organization recommends exclusively breastfeeding until 6 months and then to start solids and continue breastfeeding till 24 months.

My midwife and CHN told me that solids start to become more important than milk after 6 months.

I hope someone on here can advise you further. You are still able to breastfeed as much as you like while still giving solids. My baby didn't drop any of his feeds when I started him on solids. He only dropped a feed when he was about 8-10 months.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I exclusively bf my dd1 till 6.5 mths when we started solids. Exclusive as in bf or ebm. No water, formula or solids.

Will do the same this time around unless my dd2 us desperate for solids before then. We do BLW here so it's unlikely I'll start before then anyway.

I made the mistake dropping day feeds to encourage solids but dd1 only woke up more overnight to catch up. I suggest to keep your usual feeds and bub will drop them naturally.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The newest research is suggesting starting solids before 6 months (from 4 months, when ready) to reduce the risk of coeliac disease and allergies. But, you definitely keep breastfeeding too. My dd is 10 months old and loves her solids - I can't believe how much she eats and how varied her diet is. BUT, she loves her breastmilk too - still having 5 - 7 feeds a day!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not with my DD but with DS2 he just wasnt interested until he was almost 1 quiet happy to sit at the table with us and bang cutlery around. He was only just eating on his first birthday fruit and veggie BLW style but quickly moved onto household foods he didn't have water until is was 14 months either just beebees whenever he wanted.

He is perfectly healthy no allergies or intolerances he eats anything and everything!

P.S he is 3.5yrs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry wanted to add my dd started solids at 5.5mths and still only has 2-3 mini meals a day at 1yr ie 1/2 a slice of toast or a couple of spoons of cereal (this is the meal she doesn't always eat). A few bites of my lunch or some fruit and at dinner she eats a bit more of whatever we are having..maybe 1/2 a cup to 1 cup if I had to guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mim1, could you possibly provide a link to the research you mention? I understand that a recent study came to that conclusion but the babies who were EBF for 6 months had family histories of allergies. Just wanted to read the original research for myself a the media nearly always misinterpret study conclusions.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nagari For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)

TeamAwesome is offline No one's perfect, but everyone can be awesome.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd2 had no interest in any form of food until 11 months she didn't get any teeth until 14 months which I think played a part from 11 months she'd only really eat soft pears, bananas, potato and pumpkin mashed and rice with the occasional arrowroot biscuit she stole from a sibling. Once she started food after she got her teeth she loved it we kept BFing until 26months as I was pregnant and had HG.

Dd3 has food intolerances/allergies so extended BFing is in her best interest she was exclusively BF until 11months aside from a few stolen bits of food around 7.5 months which showed us the allergy of beetroot. She's 23 months still BFing (no intentions of stopping any time soon either) and it's so good for their tummies and immune systems, with her issues I don't intend to give up until maybe Christmas at the earliest.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TeamAwesome For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma  (26-08-2012)