+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cutting back breastfeeds

Hi all just after a bit of advice on how to cut back the amount of breastfeeds DS who is 16 months is having a day. We are currently demand feeding and I am finding it so draining and am getting a little "over it at the moment". I don't think that we are ready to wean but I feel that of we could cut back to a few feeds a day and his usually 4am-ish feed that I would be happy to continue our breastfeeding relationship.

Any advice, tips, tricks anything would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Decide what times you're happy to feed him and what times you're not then explain it to him clearly, giving him a day or two notice before you make any changes. Think hard about whether you really want to continue night feeds (4am). Personally I'd be cutting night feeds first. I know lots of mums who've cut day feeds first and end up with only night feeds. I know which I'd prefer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I still demand feed my 20month old DD. I still night feed that I am not worrying too much about at the moment, but she did feed and comfort feed alot during the day. As PP said, try your best to explain it to him and prepare, and perhaps have a sippy cup or bottle of water for the early morning feeds. I find when I keep DD distracted and play with her alot during the day, she usually doesnt end up feeding alot, so try alot of distracting techniques during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for all your replies. The book is a great idea missy m. I think I jay have to explain it to him and be firm. I'm happy with the early morning/night feed. We recently stopped co-sleeping because no one was getting any sleep. This went really well. I just think that by 4 his is ready for a cuddle and a drink (for me too it's a happy medium with not co sleeping full time). The reason I'm looking to cut back is that he is really just snacking/comfort feeding most of the time up to 10-15 times a day. Also there is a lot of breastfeeding gymnastics going on which is painful and he hits pinches. Doesn't seem to matter how much I explain or simply take him off the breast that this is not appropriate behavior. It just ends I tears and starts again.

Sorry for the rambling replying on my phone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fed my son til he was 15 months. I knew I had to go interstate (alone) for the weekend, and he was on 3 feeds/day (breakfast/lunch/night), so in the week or so prior I cut out firstly his breakfast feed, then his lunch feed, and then the day I went was his last night feed.

He was absolutely fine - which I think confirms that he no longer "needed" me, it was just a habit we were both in. He was also not sleeping through the night either - and once I cut his feeds completely, it took 3 nights of intense hell to settle him without a breastfeed, but he's slept through ever since.

Then it took about a week or so for my body to catch up - expressing a few times a day for comfort.