+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default BLW too much solids?

Hi, my son has recently started solids. We are baby-led weaning.

He still loves boob and feeds many times a day (and 3 overnight on average). I'm just alarmed at the amount of food he can put away considering we've only started in the last month or so. I'm quite sure he would eat a whole piece of fruit if I gave it all to him. Like a while pear or apple cut into sticks. Is this normal?

Every now and then he won't be that fussed about solids, but mostly it's him reminding us that he should have some food to eat too, particularly if I'm snacking on something.

He hasn't refused a single food we've trialed with him. I think he just likes food- a lot! I'm just thinking ahead to when he's eating a wider variety of solids and not wanting him to start taking less breast milk. Am I over complicating baby-led weaning, which is supposed to be refreshingly easy?

Any advice from your experience would be appreciated :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It sounds like you are going great and yes one of the best things about BLW is they eat exactly how much they want so don't worry!
    My DS was similar he would devour a huge broccoli piece in 2 mins!
    What food are you giving him? As he is such a good eater don't be afraid to try lots of different foods and herbs and spices!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Elijah's Mum, he certainly seems to be enjoying himself!

We're still taking it slowly with introducing new foods as he's got some protein intolerances. So far, in no part order, he's tried:

Apple, pear, watermelon, sweet potato, mashed potato, pumpkin, broccoli, cauliflower, toast, banana (which we're not sure about), chicken, lamb, carrot, celery (just for fun, he has no teeth), avocado, rolled oats and oat bran (spoon).

When did you introduce herbs and spices? Any foods they work well with in particular?

I love the name Elijah!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's a great variety of food!

I started adding sliced ginger and garlic to the steamer when doing veggies, chicken or fish, plus I added a drizzle of flax seed oil over the veggies ( that's how I like my veggies!)
    I gave him eggs from about 6 1/2 months and always added whatever herb I had on hand ( usually coriander or basil)
    I also make salmon or chicken nuggets with veggies/herbs/rice or quinoa and he has always had salad as we always have salad! I just make a dressing oil/vinegar/lemon and apple cider vinegar
    From 8 months he had just about everything we did like butter chicken or pasta or seafood ( I never add salt and would add chili to ours afterwards!)
    He is now 21 months and an eating machine , we get comments just about every time we eat out at restaurants as he eats what we do , we never get him kids meals !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm excited just reading your post, so many good ideas! I love flaxseed oil on my steamed veg, too . Hadn't even thought of doing it for Levi!

He's still usually having one or two foods at a time at the moment, but I'm excited to get him eating meals. It's just trialing him on everything first.

Is your son still having milk? How has his weaning journey been?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the name Levi! We must both love Hebrew names!

I am such a big BLW supporter and researched and really got into it when I was pregnant plus my MIL and SIL are naturopaths so we had loads of advice with nutrition

He was having milk ( goat formula ) up until about 18 months but was really only having a night time bottle before bed , I have not given him cows milk as such as a drink but I do make him a smoothie every afternoon as a snack ( have done since 12 months) and use either a2 milk, goats milk or almond milk

Make sure you are taking lots of videos/photos of him eating as they are great to look back on !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!
    Will keep taking photos; so entertaining watching him explore and enjoy.