+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Costings/budgeting!

Hiya

I am expecting our first baby in March, we are also moving interstate and i am trying to work out new budget as i wont be working (hopefully for first year, but will prob have to go back p/t before then due to money woes!)

How much do you normally spend on nappies per week/month - how many do they get through?! How much extra do you pay for baby stuff eg nappies, wipes, etc? we normally spend about $150 per week on groceries for the 2 of us and was guestimating maybe $200pw for a new baby? So $50 extra? Im planning on breast feeding so if i dont, this number may change if i need to buy formula etc!

Also how much per day approx for a 6 month old to go into nursery/child care for say 2 or 3 days pr week?

Have I forgotten anything else i need to encounter for?!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing. Exactly what I need to know, also!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Cost of nappies differ. I recommend using cheaper brand for newborns as they get changed so often. Wipes are expensive.

Childcare costs have a huge range as well. My childcare costs $73 a day, but they cover everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dd is 7 1/2 months and we go through a box of Snugglers nappies a fortnight $24 and a tin of formula a week $18. Wipes we get from aldi in a box of 480 wipes for approx $8.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Costings/budgeting!

I have only ever used Huggies nappies, as I found the cheaper ones didn't fit well, left red marks and stuff also leaked out which wastes more time/money with soaking & washing a few outfits/day.

They are $27-33/box and should last about 2 weeks. Newborns need nappy changes approx 10 times/day, but less as they get older.

We also only use Huggies wipes as I have found them superior and my daughter has sensitive skin. I can clean up a poo with 2 Huggies wipes, but use a whole bunch of cheaper wipes as they seem to 'smear'. Huggies wipes can be bought in bulk at big w or toys r us to get the best price.

Childcare fees range from $85-95/day. Our ccare is $95/day, with a combined family income of $120K we pay $48/day out of pocket. We provide nappies & nappy cream, they provide wipes, all food & milk.

You'll find ways to make it work. To get extra time at home with ur baby of ur struggling then buy cheaper nappies , or organise a meal/wk at a family members house if they're happy to help u out a little ?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I go through approx 7-8 nappies a day and we use the cheap aldi nappies during the day and a more absorbent nappy at night (usually babylove, as I've find them to be quite good and they're not too expensive). We use the aldi wipes again must cheaper and they work just as well. Sorry can't help with the formula. I’m going to use family day care and in my area it’s approx $7 an hour and you’ll get the child care benefit and rebate as well (if you meet centre links requirements). Hope that helps
    Last edited by M2O84; 28-08-2012 at 13:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    using cloth nappies and wipes, even part-time, can help your budget.