+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TTC for Dummies...

Hi All

DH and I are TTC and Im after some simple questins answered as Im trying to monitor my ovulation.

I have had 2 periods since coming off contraception in June. My cycle looks like its about 25 days.

So... say I have a 5 day period, lets say starting on a Sunday... does that mean I should be ovulating on about Cycle Days 9 -12, so the following Monday...?? (on average??)

Also - I hear you are supposed to do DTD every 2nd day while ovulating, I know they say then the quality of sperm is better, but I kind of want to do it every day this week, just so I cover all my bases... as Im not sure exactly when Im ovulating!!

I dont really get much in the way of CM.
    And Im using Maybe Baby and OPKs and so far, they arnt ferning or showing Im ovulating... Usually I get horny when I am ovulating but it didnt work last month! :-)

Thanks in advacne!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we where trying and had just started in clomid (pill to help you ovulate) our fertility doc said to dtd every second day from day 10 to 20 so you cover all your bases. I have a 28-30 day cycle so those days may not relate to you!
    Also sperm can live up to 5 days (or more, cant remember) in you so don't worry about every day, I think that doesn't give OH enough time for his sperm to mature enough... Someone else maybe able to confirm that... Good luck!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nala9000 For This Useful Post:

Manny  (06-08-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Temping will help you pinpoint exactly when you ovulate, but it doesn't tell you before, it tells you after. Monitoring CM and cervix height, texture and opening is the best way to tell whe you're ovulating, you can use them in conjunction with OPKs if you want to.

If you want to increase CM, try taking some evening primrose oil right up until when you ovulate (then stop).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Knowing the length of your luteal phase (the length of time between ovulation and your next period) will be more useful. Based on an average luteal phase of 14 days you would ovulate on about day 11. If you chart temps then you can figure out exactly when it was you ovulated and can therefore figure out the length of your luteal phase and use that for your next cycles. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've got a maybe baby and never got ferning, so i stopped using it. I have 24 day cycle and ovulate on day 12. As the others have said, every second day should be adequate

Thanks
    Reviews
    I start using opk's from cd10 and dtd every second day until I get a positive opk and then I dtd that night, the next night and the one after that then skip the next night and dtd one last time the night after. This worked for us last month and I fell pregnant the second cycle using this method. Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheetara For This Useful Post:

Manny  (06-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried temping, opk's and looking at cm. None of those worked. The month we dtd every second day I got my bfp, I'm nearly 6 weeks pregnant.

Best of luck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cluckcluck For This Useful Post:

Manny  (06-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, some good tips.
    Im confused because I'm using I.Period and it says my ovulation starts day 7 which I think is too early...

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Im confused because I'm using I.Period and it says my ovulation starts day 7 which I think is too early...
    Your fertile days may start on day 7. They usually allow you 6 fertile days- 5 days leading up to and including ovulation, and the day after. Mine started on day 8 (I ovulate on cd 13) and finishes on day 14. Of course the closer to ovulation the better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    I wouldn't trust those things as not everyone is the same. If I were you I'd get some opk's, you don't have to use them every month but it might be useful when try to figure out when you ovulate