+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birth control - options post Pregnancy

Hi all, just wanting some advice re: birth control post pregnancy, and options. I was on the pill pre ttc for 14 years, have 1 dd and my last baby on the way (due in Jan/feb). I am definite about this being my last, but dh is not willing to have the snip. I don't want to go back on the pill. I am over 30 and thought that having my tubes tied (during c-section delivery) might be the way to go. Has anyone had any experiences with this? I heard it can make your period heavier (which I wouldn't look forward to!).... I want 100% protection and am not interested in hormonal treatments like the implant, depo or an iud either! Any advice/info appreciated. I need to start thinking about options as I will need to convince my OB that with 2 kids over 30 I'm done. Thanks :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know you said you werent interested in an IUD, but I had the Mirena inserted after my DD was born and it was fantastic. Like most contraception (or like the pill I guess and depo) I found it stole my sex drive though.
    I know however some people on here hated it, but I found it so easy and wuold consider it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why is your dh so opposed to a vasectomy??
    I'm in the same position as you but dh is having a vasectomy - he is a little nervous but I took responsibility for the first 15 years of our relationship ... It's his turn now!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry I'm not sure what advice you want your ruling out most contraceptive options....what about barrier methods? Condoms, diaphragm?

Neither of us are confident dd is our last so neither of us want to get the snip, I can't take the pill and I gained weight on the implanon and depo, condoms either hurt (or we don't use them, which is why we don't want to use the diaphragm either) and I can't use the nuvo ring. So I am having an iud inserted next week, I'm also hoping it will help with my heavy periods

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, I'll think some more about barrier methods, if i don't tie my tubes, particularly for short term post birth maybe even the mini pill if necessary. I really want to know if anyone has had any side effects from tubal ligation! Any experiences or information about other options etc is appreciated.

DH has had previous surgery, (unpleasant) and this baby is an IVF conception, we are both mature enough to realize our fertility is a joint responsibility. His hesitancy is maybe because he just isn't convinced about being finished (but I def am!) I don't want any accidents at 40! It's presumptuous to think he doesn't want to take any responsibility just because he doesn't want a vasectomy and he's not on here to post his thoughts. We need to consider all options available, some we may not have even thought about.

I am doing the primary research ATM, as we still have a way to go with this pregnancy - I haven't completely ruled anything out (just have preferences - hence my post) I am sure if all the research showed higher risk for tubal ligation than vasectomy etc and it was that or getting none he'd change his mind! Haha.

Respectful comments appreciated.