+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Classmates allowed to discipline other students..acceptable?

im after some advice, from teachers especially.

My son is in year 2. He came home today upset and confused about missing out on the entire duration of lunch, because in his class, if you are a reading group leqder (i assume u get picked to be this on a weekly basis) you are allowed to put other classmates name on the board. If your name goes on the board, you miss out on play at lunch time.

A bit of background info. My son has autism, a part of his quirks are his obsessive need to follow rules. Now im not going to say that my son is perfect. But i know that he does what he is told, and doesnt bother anyone in the classroom. This has been witnessed by me, and his two teachers and aide last year and this year also agreeing.

So today, my son was confused as to why his name was on the board. He approached the teacher, and said why do i miss out on playing at lunch? She said "your name was on the board" he said but i dont understand why. She would not give any further explaination. Next my spn approached his classmate who is the one who put his name on the board. Her response was "i did't feel like beng truthful today' and stuck her tongue out at him.

Am i the only one who thinks this method of discipline is CRAZY? Kids can be flat out jerks. Obviously at this age, incredibly immature. Why are they allowed to take away another childs playtime? And why couldnt the teacher explain to my son why he was missing out? Does she not even know the reason? Why put trust in another child but not my child?

Ds is quite upset because he says he honestly didnt do anything?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's awful. I would go to the principal!

That method of discipline just sets kids up to be bullied.

Grrrr!

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rainbow road For This Useful Post:

Bubmum  (06-08-2012),Dannielle  (07-08-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (06-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (06-08-2012),MonkeySeeMonkeyDo  (07-08-2012),twotrunks  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely no effing way, that is terrible. I would be discussing that with the teacher (and the principal if the teacher is not receptive) for sure.

to your DS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, not ok. I wrote a thread on this a few months back. But I guess this is what happens when everyone is forced to work and we lack parent helpers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Phew, so its not just me being a mumma bear! If it was the first 5 minutes of lunch or something, i probably wouldnt be feeling this angry, but the ENTIRE duration of lunch? And of cpurse who else was forced to sit on the silver seats woth him? The freakin class bully that is constantly verbally and physically bullys my son! Omg he was trapped with him! We just had a big discussion with the teacher abput it last week! She assured me she would keep an eye on things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's disgraceful! That teacher needs a firm kick up the behind. I would be complaining loudly to the principal.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (06-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (06-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In year two this is not appropriate and the teacher was out of line for not explaining why his name was put up on the board.

I hope that the teacher at least knew why his name was put up there and that she/he does not just blindly punish whatever names are on the board.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if there is going to be a system like that then it needs to go both ways. If the children in the class are going to be taught the responsibility of being able to help discipline their classmates then they should have to articulate their reasons for putting their classmate on the board. No reason no board.

If this kid openly admitted that he just lied I would certainly be speaking to DS's teacher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im having a real problem with the duration but also that there is no hearing the other child's side out. Surely they have a right to defend themselves to the teacher, if the teacher did not witness the apparent 'crime?'

>_< blardy heck i hate when crud like this happens, i feel like im forever needing to go speak to people about this type of thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The non explanation doesn't make sense to me ... How is a child supposed to learn which behaviors are inappropriate if it is not explained to them to prevent it happening again?

Also just wondering of there could be a little more to this story that your son isn't telling you???