+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When do you give panadol?

Just wondering what it takes for you to offer panadol/pain relief to your little ones? My DD1 was fine yesterday until she got a temp that creeped up as the arvo wore on. While it was perfectly obvious she wasn't 100% she wasnt crying or distressed or anything, just lethargic and a little bit sad

She napped on the couch on and off all afternoon, was still taking fluids and come 4pm we had a shower together and she went to bed at 5.30pm. She slept all night bar 2 wake ups for cold water.

Just wondering, as I've spoken to CHN's who advise that unless the temp hits 38'ish or more, and the child isn't distressed not to worry too much about panadol. The reason for this being that their bodies are fighting the infection by getting a temp and panadol will bring it down and it comes back again after it wears off and you're back where you started. Makes sense to me?

Please don't misunderstand, if my kids are hurting they are given medicine but it just sometimes feels like so many kids are over medicated these days for every little sniffle, or is that just me???

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope, I go by the same rule as you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I only give when DS shows signs of distress or pain. If he is still ok I figure that it can't be bothering him to much. I just prefer to medicate him as little as possible

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Zeddie For This Useful Post:

2boofulgals  (06-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would use it for pain without a fever I guess....if they had a really bad headache or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me too, a mild fever is a good sign the body is fighting the infection, I follow the same rules

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Littleyorkshirepudding For This Useful Post:

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    when they are in pain.

The same as I would give myself panadol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep when in pain or in distress

11. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I give for pain or to bring down a temperature

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We us panadol on DD if she has a head ache or gut pain that her gaberpenton and hysyth bromide isnt getting rid of, and we also use it in conjunction with her IV ABs when she has a infection and fever, I know thats against the BH norm but so is my kid so we follow the advice of her Drs and also my gut i know her best been looking after her for 6.5 years

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, if the temp is over 38.5 or if he is in pain or distressed. Otherwise he just has to "sick it out" the natural way.