+ Reply to Thread
    heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Speech therapy before 3, opinions please .

Hi all

As most people know, my DS is 2.5 and still not talking . No words. He seems to have turned a corner the last month re - babbling , he now does that all day long , very clear speech sounds , and sometimes even copies sounds I make which is a huge achievement for him. Him and he's sister seem on par with each other re - verbal development and she's just over 13 months younger .

We are liaising with a pead and ST about this and he's had an EEG and chromosomal blood rest come back as normal .

I'm just so confused about all of this , going to the speech therapist sessions make me feel better that I'm doing " something " seeing as everyone drills on about early intervention etc but it's almost like DS is too young still to actually garner much from them yet . Yet I worry that leaving it till three is too late .

He's attention span at these appointments is about ten minutes max , once he's over some bubble play he just spends the entire time trying to get out of the room and pulling at my arm to leave.

I know lots of parents on here have children in Speech therapy , what were your children like at the sessions before 3?

I don't know what path I should take . Keep going regularly , wait awhile , wait till 3, im very confused ??!?

I have seen some hubbers on here say they don't believe in ST before 3 or that they are waiting before they begin to explore their children's issues . Would like to hear from people that have that way of thinking also .

I'm certainly not saying I'm waiting , we have already done lots of testing and will continue to proceed with our plan of a formal assessment by a developmental pead and so on , but I can certainly see some gain in holding off on some things when your child just seems too young .

Sorry for the ramble, I'm very confused and second guessing myself everyday , afraid one wrong decision or move will be detrimental to my sons future . I hate this limbo :-(

Thank you xxoo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, I never would have considered NOT doing therapy... I've not heard of that concept.

My son started at 13 months of age, he had feeding problems Caused by oral motor coordination issues... This then moved onto speech related therapy. He was diagnosed in May at age 4 yrs 6mnths with Aspergers (his speech isn't delayed, hence why he received diagnosis). Speech is SO so so Soooooo complex, much more complex than people would think. I would absolutely recommend you attend... He should be talking by now!

From age 13 months to 2 years his therapy was basic type stuff... ALOT of it was in fact teaching us as parents more efficient ways of encouraging our son to communicate with us. Research the Hanen program It takes two to talk... It really is great at helping you to encourage your child to talk :-)

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I should also point out what issues with speech my son has..

Although he wasn't late to try to talk and commence speech (which enabled his aspergers dx) his sounds were not clear though dye to his phological errors and due to his low tone and coordination issues he also had feeding problems (he could not chew until age 2, has only in the last 6 months figured out how to effectively lick an icecream etc etc)

At age 3 my son developed a stutter which is also common with aspergers and so he attends therapy now for his stutter and errors.
    ***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We had a speechie see our DS2 when he was three, what they usually do (in our speechies case) is make the therapy more play based rather than structured as they are still little to sit there for too long. Flash cards, board games (age appropiate) that kind of thing.

It wouldnt hurt to get a few opinions and see what they all say and base your decision from there. My son has difficulty with his Ch and S sounds the most. Good luck!

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much to you both for your feedback

Happy2be3 the hanen course I recently done , it's great and a big help at home. In our sessions as well I'm always getting feedback how to encourage him to use he's sounds and gestures .

Anyone else ?

Thx xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does the ST give you ideas for implementing with DS at home? Sometimes the benefit of therapy with very young children is less about what the child learns in session, but the strategies the parents learn to help their child between sessions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, you're so right, early intervention is the key to children's development. I've never replied to a post on here but saw yours and just wanted to pop in and say that "speech therapy" is so much more than teaching a child to talk. It looks at communication skills and there are many preverbal skills that a child needs to learn and develop before a child learns words. You mentioned your sons attention span and imitation, these are some. Others can include joint attention, eye contact etc. A speechie can help you with all of these and give you ideas. They may not want to see him regularly but give you ideas for things to do at home and review down the track. I work in early intervention and can't stress enough trying to see someone early... Even for peace of mind. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 did speech therapy from just before 2. He was a late talker and didn't say much and we discovered he had hearing problems (25% hearing loss) due to glue ear. Started speech therapy which helped us with basic signing to him as he was getting frustrated not being able to communicate with us and us him properly. The signs combined with the words helped as once he had the grommets put in his ears he was able to understand the words properly and we didn't need to use the signs any more. Unfortunately it looks like his hearing is poor again as he has been sick a lot lately and we have noticed he now stutters a lot and his speech has stalled again. We stopped speech therapy a few months ago but I expect that after our next hearing test (2 weeks) we may be taking him back again. Goodluck.

Me 30, DH 41
    Ss1 5
    Ss2 5 (with medical condition and disability)
    Ds1 approaching 3
    Button due 03/02/2013

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    early intervention is the best way to get any issues found and sorted asap, We did ST with kenz from her being 6 months old ( very early yes but due to other issues as well ) i definately think its helped