+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Newborn sleeping A LOT!

Hi all,
    We have just welcomed our DS into our family 2 1/2 weeks early and safe to say he is the total opposite of our DD. He is a very placid, easygoing baby who very rarely cries whereas she was very demanding from the start. Because he is so different to her, I am unsure whether he is sleeping too much or not.

He is 1 1/2 weeks old now and still sleeps probably 20-21 hours a day. We have had to wake him at night to feed him because we didn't want to leave it for more than 5 hours. He feeds very well but will go straight back to sleep afterwards.

Should we get him checked out or are we just extremely lucky?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think you should count your lucky stars.

I wouldn't wake him either, but that's just me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank yourself lucky but if it's worrying you ask the dr or nurse

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought the same thing when DD was born I was having to wake her for feeds etc as she slept so much I was worried as u are and people would say just think yourself lucky and you know what they were right cause it doesn't last forever lol
    But in saying that I am not a health care professional so if u are truely concerned best to get some advice from Dr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is bub yellow? Is there a yellow tinge in the whites of the eye? Could be jaundice if not then all is good, I'd wake during the day / feed 3hrly but not night unless longer than 6 hrs. If u think jaundice then just make sure bub gets a bit of sun daily

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had DD2 4w early and also thought I had won the sleep jackpot, after DD1 that never slept (was late). Give it time, you will soon miss that sleep. My paed said to wake her 6hrly for feeding and keep eye on heroutput. She was jaundice though so may be different if all is well.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds was a huge sleeper til 2 weeks of age. BUT, he was jaundiced badly and had 2 days under lights (at 1 week of age) and I did have to wake him for feeds, although waking him was nigh on impossible at times in that 2nd week. He only came home from hospital at 8 days old, so I didn't get much of a reprieve before he stopped sleeping at around 2 - 3 weeks old.

My dd was a dream baby from day 1 really. She hardly cried and slept for ages (5 hour stretches from the day she came home from hospital). She was colicky in the evenings and would need cuddling from 7pm til midnight most nights (or at least in the swing at our feet), but during the rest of the day & night she fed & slept and was minimal fuss. I kept waiting for her to stop sleeping well or become demanding ... and it didn't happen til 3.5 months and of course by then her evening unsettled period was stopped, so it was a lot easier to manage her. And really, in comparison to her brother even at her most demanding she's easy to manage!

Hope your ds stays easy to manage! He's off to a good start!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was 2 weeks early and for the first 3 weeks she hardly woke or opened her eyes. She would wake, have a whinge, I'd change and feed her and then she would be straight back to sleep. I think it was just part of her coming early. She eventually "woke up" and started having more interaction and a little play time in between.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 was - is - exactly the same. He only woke briefly for a feed and back to bed. Even now at 6 weeks he sleeps up to 20 hours in a 24 hour period. I was also a little worried because DD1 was a daytime catnapper and had a 4 hour period where she would cry constantly. Not DS1 - he only cries if he is tired or hungry, and even then it ain't much of a cry!

Last week I tried to keep him up longer after each feed and he cracked it and DEMANDED I put him to bed. So I haven't done that again, poor little guy. I have definitely learnt to take his lead, watch for his signs and if he doesn't wake up I now leave him, even if he is due for a feed. More often than not he'll wake when he is ready.

I did ask the doc at his newborn visit (at 2 weeks) and he said bubs was totally healthy and to relax and just enjoy it. So I am! Shame DD2 still doesn't sleep through the day LOL!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I am sure all is alright. Our son (first born now almost 5) never said boo even at needles. I would wake him feed him, play back to sleep. Our DD now 7mths, will wait for no one. If her feed is not ready on time all hell breaks loose. if she has a dirty bum OMG. Think you might be lucky just keep an eye on it.