+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default To find out the baby's gender or not?

Hi guys

Well its still fairly early for us (14 weeks tomorrow) but we are having the 'find out, no find out' debate between DP and I.

I dont really want to know, I know its nice to buy the colours and things but for me that would be the only reason. We have kept everything from DD1 (furniture and bedding, etc) that was done in unisex colours anyway.

But DP would like to know so he can go and buy clothing and things now..... trouble is, we have no idea how big the baby will be either so Im not sure this is a good argument!

We have names reasonably picked for both genders and Im not sure whether to give in and find out the gender or not.......

I just think, we've had a rocky road so far and to have that nice surprise at the end would be lovely.

And there's no way if DP found out and I didnt that he wouldnt blab it to me!

For us, it doesnt matter either way what gender the baby is, as long as they are healthy!!!!

What do you guys think?

(So far DP is supporting me not to know).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have found out both times, and was undecided if I would find our again, but I am having my scan today and will be finding out.

I believe there are still surprises to look forward to, like what/who they will look like, when they will be born. It's still a surprise finding out at the scan.

I think it's fair to find out this time, if you didn't find out last time.

I have friends who found out first time, but not the second and they said they get much more bonded and attached once they knew what they were having.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm finding out. I honestly would die if I had to wait that long
    I can't wait for anything though, I even peek at Christmas presents lol.

Though, I have heard from a lot of people that it's the best surprise if you wait, so if you can do it, more power to you

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have to know!!! I can not know lol. I don't like surprises lok

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 34 weeks this week and I didn't find out
    I feel really excited at the thought of going into labour just so I can know!
    I found out with DS and this time I do feel less organised but I've waited this long what's a few more weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't find out.. It was so exciting not knowing and as for being prepared.. 2 weeks before I was due I went and layby'd a heap of clothes etc.. One layby was pink and the other blue. Then I just cancelled the boy one after DD was born.

I loved not knowing... It made telling everyone that little bit more exciting 😄

Best of luck with your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't find out with DS (I was pretty sure he was a boy anyway). We just found out we're preg with #2 and won't be finding out again. If #2 happens to be a girl we have enough neatural newborn stuff from DS to get through until we can go shopping. If it's a boy we won't need to get anything. I like not knowing, it adds to all the excitement!!

ETA: I think if you already have neatrual baby stuff the only benefit in finding out would be if you think it would be easier to bond. I think not finding out with DS also mean't we didn't over shop for stuff before he was born. And don't forget they can get it wrong!
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 06-08-2012 at 08:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Recently a friend of mine did not find out and it was so exciting not knowing. If I was UTD again I would not want to find out. However, DH would want to as he said it would help him bond. With DD we didn't find out till 34 week and he said that it was easier for him to become attached to the idea of a little girl than just a baby...

So we would probably find out for DH.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've done it both ways and i preferred waiting until birth to found it. There is something really special about that moment after birth when the sex is announced and it was extra exciting being able to tell everyone (rather than them all already knowing for months).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't find out with DS till 36 weeks and well to keep a long story short I wasn't suppose to have been told (i kept it a secret from everyone including DH) anyway with this belly bug nope we aren't finding out