+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    i think the more we change food from it's natural state, the worse it is.
    i don't eat anything low fat or highly processed as in a 'fake' food. eg. margarine.
    i eat butter, full fat milk and full fat yoghurt.
    oh, and i've also lived with an eating disorder (anorexia) most of my life. i feel healthier eating a smaller amount of full fat products than a bucket load of chemicals.
    Yes I agree. Can I ask what full fat yogurt you use? I find it hard to find. Most have reduced fat, it bugs me.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Jalna biodynamic whole full fat yoghurt is really nice. Not cheap though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBe View Post
    I've read that the issue of standard full fat dairy is to do with homogenization. Homogenizing milk is like putting it in a paint shaker to break up the fatty portion i.e. cream, into smaller globs spread evenly through the milk. Apparently these smaller globules aren't processed properly by our bodies and can cause cholesterol issues? I don't know much about the science behind it! We do however always buy non-homog milk with the thick lovely cream layer on top. And the lucky one who gets to open the fresh milk carton gets the giant blodge of cream poured right into their morning coffee... yum!

Never liked fat free anything. Also margarine is really bad for you - trans-fats in marg are linked to cancer, last I read.

I studied Nutrition at uni and this is what I was taught about homogenized milk, too.
    Our bodies are able to process the fat molecules in non-homogenized milk much more easily, and I believe the fat also makes it easier for our bodies to absorb the calcium in milk.

I also remember reading that children who consume non-homogenized milk have a lower incidence of asthma and eczema than kids who drink homogenized milk, although I can't remember where I read it so don't ask me for details

I also grew up on a dairy farm and there is no comparison between 'real' milk and the stuff in supermarkets.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Full fat in our house, full fat everything. My toddler will not be swapping to low fat milk. You couldn't pay me to eat margarine. After a lot of netucating, I believe sugar is evil and makes you fat, not fat. I swapped everything in the house to full fat ( even tuna, salmon, meat etc) and the weight is dropping off me at about 800g / week and i am definitely not starving or going without.

ETA, pumpkin pieces roasted in coconut oil is to die for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    full fat for me
    I don't eat skim/diet/low fat anything, i always buy the full fat version. I prefer the taste and don't go overboard eating it, i have always been skinny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Full fat dairy here as well, and I try to get unhomogonized milk when I can.

There seems to be more and more research supporting this too. This is from an article discussing a 16 year study: http://www.virtualmedicalcentre.com/...t-health/15214

"Interestingly, the study showed that full-fat dairy was associated with less cardiovascular death. People who ate the most full-fat dairy had a 69% lower risk of cardiovascular death than those who ate the least when other factors were taken into account.
    The authors suggested that while full fat dairy foods contribute to saturated fat intake there may be other fat components that counterbalance the expected negative effect.
    Dairy Australia Dietitian Glenys Zucco says, "Contrary to popular belief, full-fat dairy, including milk and cheese, has never been convincingly linked to cardiovascular disease. In fact, it has rather consistently been linked to a lower risk, particularly for stroke."