+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 76
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I grew up on a dairy farm where we had real milk straight from the vatt with the cream on top. Yummo! So knowing that the milk in the cold section of supermarkets is so watered down, the supposedly full cream is watered down enough nevermind skim. We use the uht milk when camping and we stuck with it. Can definitely taste the difference between fridge section milk and uht. Uht tasting much creamier! We use the semi skim and full cream for the kids. And although a little of the nutrients are lost due to the heating process of the uht it isn't sufficient enough to warrant worrying about. Our kids certainly don't lack anything as they have plenty of yogurt and cheese in their diets as do Dh and I.

  2. #32
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I grew up on a dairy farm where we had real milk straight from the vatt with the cream on top. Yummo! So knowing that the milk in the cold section of supermarkets is so watered down, the supposedly full cream is watered down enough nevermind skim. We use the uht milk when camping and we stuck with it. Can definitely taste the difference between fridge section milk and uht. Uht tasting much creamier! We use the semi skim and full cream for the kids. And although a little of the nutrients are lost due to the heating process of the uht it isn't sufficient enough to warrant worrying about. Our kids certainly don't lack anything as they have plenty of yogurt and cheese in their diets as do Dh and I.
    Can I ask why you don't source raw milk now?

  3. #33
    Witwicky's Avatar
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,630
    Thanks
    4,446
    Thanked
    3,495
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My university health lecturer explained the milk thing in great detail (stating that whole milk is far better than skim, especially for weight loss purposes) but I can't recall her exact reasoning

    We eat full fat milk, cheese etc in this house. I hate skim milk. We also eat butter - I won't touch margarine with a ten foot pole. It is scary how it is made....reminds me of a science experiment

    Oh and coconut oil is AMAZING.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

    BornToBe  (06-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (05-08-2012)

  5. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the sticks!!
    Posts
    20,635
    Thanks
    3,222
    Thanked
    2,540
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I would loooove to be able to find some raw milk around!

  6. #35
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    I would loooove to be able to find some raw milk around!
    We drank raw milk a few years ago before we moved out of the city when we moved back we sourced it again but they have changed how the do the orders and they only do it in 5L plastic jugs now I found the milk kept going off really quickly before the use to fill up glass bottles for you, devo now we buy organic Margaret river milk (I think that's what it's called? It's got a green label) or Harvey fresh as a last resort.

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Can I ask why you don't source raw milk now?
    The nearest dairy farm is over 2,000kms from where we live.
    Would love nothing more than being able to get it straight from the cow like the ole days

  8. #37
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    The nearest dairy farm is over 2,000kms from where we live.
    Would love nothing more than being able to get it straight from the cow like the ole days
    I thought it was a distance thing bummer!

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In the sticks!!
    Posts
    20,635
    Thanks
    3,222
    Thanked
    2,540
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    We drank raw milk a few years ago before we moved out of the city when we moved back we sourced it again but they have changed how the do the orders and they only do it in 5L plastic jugs now I found the milk kept going off really quickly before the use to fill up glass bottles for you, devo now we buy organic Margaret river milk (I think that's what it's called? It's got a green label) or Harvey fresh as a last resort.
    We live amongst dairy farms but it is illegal for them to sell it. No health food stores around to buy the 'bath milk' either I normally get Barambah Organic. I can't stand milk though, blerghhh! Only for DH and kiddos.

  10. #39
    headoverfeet's Avatar
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18,954
    Thanks
    3,142
    Thanked
    4,892
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Did I say drink? *cough* I mean to bathe in....

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

    Blessedwith3boys  (05-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (05-08-2012),Luna Lovegood  (06-08-2012)

  12. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    I thought it was a distance thing bummer!
    Yep.. But my dad still lives in the country and gets it fresh from a friends farm as he is retired now so I enjoy it when we visit


 
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Skim milk?
    By Dreamscapezd in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 08:59
  2. Skim milk?
    By Dreamscapezd in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31-07-2012, 22:08
  3. Skim milk?
    By Dreamscapezd in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 31-07-2012, 21:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Softer than your bub's bum Boody Organic Bamboo Baby Wear
Australia's favourite eco brand has delivered a gorgeous baby collection. Made from organic bamboo, Boody's extraordinarily soft and stretchy, skin-friendly tops, bottoms, onesies, bibs and wraps don't 'cost the earth'. Get 20% OFF! Code BUBHUB16.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Ro and Co
Ro and Co kids cooking classes and parties are a fantastic way for children to experiment with food. The classes and parties are designed to be both educational and fun, giving your child the skills they need to be confident and creative in the kitchen.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!