+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    Soooooo good for you
    I know I keep hearing about it!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    This. I don't do reduced fat anything, totally gross and fake tasting. Any milk apart from full fat tastes like its watered down, gross gross gross.
    Your body is more satisfied by food in its full form, where if you had low fat or no fat alternatives your body will probably want more and more to get satisfaction. Or you just wouldnt feel guilty having more of a low fat or no fat alternative so are more likely to eat more.
    Totally agree! No low fat here either, and I'm slim. Small portions of everything is the key.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think even though skim has less fat than full cream it has slightly more sugar and salt and less vitamins so in theory it's not really healthier?
    I agree with pp, non homogenized is far better as the high heat treating kills any real benefit of milk anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have full fat i could never go back to skim milk .
    I grew up on skim milk then when i met dp he always had full cream and then i was converted and ds has never had skim milk.
    Though we buy marg as i do like butter but do prefer margarine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I leave skin on fruits (well kiwi fruit and apples etc) and veggies, use mainland butter soft (it's the purest one I can find) kept in the bread bin - tastes sooo much better than Marg! And full cream of sour cream, normal cream, milk (I get pure organic unhomogenised) etc. I agree with natural state like PPs. The reason why low fat alternatives are marketed even by dietitians is because we are becoming overweight and obese more and more like America.
    Processed food is bad
    However DH is on skim as he is on a diet. If I was overweight I would also swap. It's all about balancing your food groups and making good food choices.

E.g. Can't buy a maccas meal with a diet coke lol makes no sense to me!

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think skim milk just means some of the cream has been separated and removed. I can't see what could be harmful about this.

If one has weight issues surely low fat is better than keeping/gaining weight?!
    SKIM MILK HAS ADDED SUGAR

This is how it was explained to me. If you look at the nutritional panel of skim milk you will see that there is added sugar. 4.7g per 100ml (sugar) is accounted for by lactose. Anything above 4.7g is added sugar which does not naturally occur in milk. Full fat milk normally has anywhere from 4.7g-4.9 per 100ml.
    The skim milk in kitchen has 5.3 grams per 100ml. Which means 0.6 grams of added sugar.

Still following me? So if the average latte is 300ml and I have skim milk I am consuming 1.8 gr of sugar more if i drink skim as opposed to full fat milk.
    If I have 3 lattes a day thats 5.4 grams of sugar per day than if I had full fat milk. Over a year, that would be nearly 2kgs more of sugar per year than if you had full fat milk.

In addition, I am beliving some of the new popular theories that sugar makes people overweight not fat that makes one overweight.

I am currently undertaking an 8 week experiment. I am 2 weeks in. I have cut out all sugar. Except that which occurs naturally as lactose in full fat dairy and the small amount present in wholemeal bread.
    I am hoping to loose 3 kgs.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Benji  (05-08-2012),bunkx  (05-08-2012),Witwicky  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's coconut oil used for - in place of butter?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarelou View Post
    What's coconut oil used for - in place of butter?
    Lots maybe start another thread!

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    see we use marg. I cant find a butter we can actually spread without ripping the bread apart. Even devondale spreadable is too hard

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Real butter can just be kept on the kitchen bench. It does not need to be refrigerated. Always spreadable then

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

MrJones&Me  (06-08-2012),ShanandBoc  (06-08-2012)

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    SKIM MILK HAS ADDED SUGAR

This is how it was explained to me. If you look at the nutritional panel of skim milk you will see that there is added sugar. 4.7g per 100ml (sugar) is accounted for by lactose. Anything above 4.7g is added sugar which does not naturally occur in milk. Full fat milk normally has anywhere from 4.7g-4.9 per 100ml.
    The skim milk in kitchen has 5.3 grams per 100ml. Which means 0.6 grams of added sugar.

Still following me? So if the average latte is 300ml and I have skim milk I am consuming 1.8 gr of sugar more if i drink skim as opposed to full fat milk.
    If I have 3 lattes a day thats 5.4 grams of sugar per day than if I had full fat milk. Over a year, that would be nearly 2kgs more of sugar per year than if you had full fat milk.

In addition, I am beliving some of the new popular theories that sugar makes people overweight not fat that makes one overweight.

I am currently undertaking an 8 week experiment. I am 2 weeks in. I have cut out all sugar. Except that which occurs naturally as lactose in full fat dairy and the small amount present in wholemeal bread.
    I am hoping to loose 3 kgs.
    I just checked my milk it has the same amount of sugar

Maybe I should use full fat as I'm only using 150ml max a day