+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would assume its tonsillitis or an ear infection Cos we have those here so often. I would possibly dose with nurofen if they appeared to be in pain but otherwise I'd just wait and watch, try to keep them comfy and rested and cool. I usually wouldnt go to the hospital for a fever unless it seemed to be causing other problems or excessive crying. I did take dd once for a fever and uncontrollable crying which couldn't be soothed even with a breast. She had a double ear infection so they started antibiotics straight away. Sometimes it does pay to go in but usually not for a fever.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i've just had my baby girl with fever up to 39.7
    i gave panadol, undressed her down to light clothing and gave her fluids.
    my son has been over 40 before and i was literally in the car about to drive to hospital (40 minutes away) and then it started coming down.
    like pp i believe fevers are the bodies way of fighting infection, and it is the rapid incline/decline that causes seizures (not the fever itself).
    and since my children have no other medical conditions i think it is fine to just monitor it until it nears 40, then give panadol.

i know a lot of mums who over-prescibe on panadol and other meds. every cold requires antibiotics (ridiculous as it is a virus) and every 'fever' of 37.5 degrees is panadol, nurofen and even painstop
    i often wonder what will happen when they are REALLY sick, and their bodies are so used to being dosed up on things that they lose effectiveness. and antibiotics being overused has such a terrible effect to the community at large as well.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (05-08-2012),bumMum  (05-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~BEXTER~ View Post
    I wouldn't have put him in bath or used face washer .

I would have given nurofen and panadol to keep the temp under 40, I would have taken off some clothes and slept him in my bed.
    Yes, I read later that the facewasher (if too cold) can cause the opposite ~ bubs heats up again due to extremities being cold ~ but I was running him a bath anyway, he did need one after crawling about all day, and just made it a bit cooler than usual. He wasn't happy so I made it a fast dip and swish. Did take most of his clothes off and had him in bed with me, but not too close so we didn't roast each other!

Thanks, everyone, for all the replies. I thought I'd check in and was gobsmacked by the amount of responses.

It's so true that fevers are an important part of immune response; frightening when your bub is pushing 40c, though.

An update ~ is sleeping more comfortably tonight in his cot in our room, but still seems a little hot. Got very cranky and tired and went to bed an hour earlier than usual. But, thankfully, the super-hell-fever seems over.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (05-08-2012),halloweendee  (06-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think as someone else has mentioned it depends on the child I have DD who's on numerous occasions had 40.5 temp once even 40.9 so with her once it gets over 39 and pandol does nothing for her we do the panadol, nurofen combination at intervals of 3 hrs, (so its 6hrs between the same med) we do this for 24hrs only as advised by our dr. However with DS I take his clothes off sometimes a bath, and sometimes he does not even need panadol.
    So I guess you play it by ear everyone knows their own child best
    Glad to hear little ones on the mend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This has been an interesting discussion! I didn't see any irresponsible suggestions, and it is interesting to hear what we each do, especially the mums and dads of kids with different conditions and how that affects fever treatment.

Thanks FKnickers, for the article. And 4 out of 5 with fever, how do you cope!!!

I don't think bubs has an ear infection, never had ear probs and he's strong as an ox with his Dad's immune system (DP never gets sick). I think it's just a crappy 24hr virus.

Thanks for the info on piggybacking Nurofen with Panadol (if needed), it says on the Nuro bottle not to dose if bub's has had recent dose of Panadol, but I was pretty sure there was no contraindication.

The frightening thing about the fever (other than a burning bub) was that he seemed so upset by it, was pretty inconsolable for a while (when he was only38.7), but was sleeping when it reached 39.4c.

Thermo ~ that was me (OP) who mentioned tepid bath, but I should have said slightly cooler than usual (warm) bath. Interestingly, my partner had Scarlet Fever as a child and the visiting doc plunged him into a cool bath, then ran it colder, and he and his folks claim it saved his life. Amazing how treatment for the average fever has changed in my lifetime (not sure about treatment for Scarlet Fever, though!). Sometimes it's hard not to automatically fall back on the treatment you were given as a child!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I discovered what caused the rotten fever...because I've come down with it, too!

IT started with the same 39.4c fever bub had, and I've an awful headache, a stomach ache, have been vomitting a bit, fever and chills, runny nose, sore throat, cough, achey lower back, yada yada yada. If bub feels like I do, he's suffering bad. Poor little guy.

He actually seems to be coping better than I! He is a baby of such good humour! The panadol and nurofen piggybacking has got the fever down for him, and the plain nurofen is working a bit for me...but I still feel like death warmed up. Aaaah, kids. Vectors of all things cold and flu related. When I used to swallow a lot more swords than I do now, my immune system was primed and I never got sick. Since I've calmed down on the freak work, I've had 2 colds in the last 6 weeks and now this flu thing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We worry so much about our little ones but they always prove to be such fighters!
    Hope your all better soon!!