+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    It was scary putting off the old thinking the first few times but I am such a big believer now The body has a thermostat that shuts off a fever if it nears the danger point of 42.4 degrees.

That is what I do with my kids though who have no other medical conditions at all

So if your kids got a fever of over 42.4 you would take them to hospital ???
    I know once the fever hits over 42 the body start to shut down parifially to save the vital organs but its dangerous when that starts to happen

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (05-08-2012),beautifulbubba  (06-08-2012)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Confusedmum12 View Post
    Oh ok i got you now sorry though your girl was opposite (low not high).

Yes my son is on growth hormone injections and Hydro-cortisone 3 times a day and throxine once a day all since about 5 days after birth.

yes her sugars drop low at any point if she is not on her feeds, or if she is not tolerating her feeds, she only goes high when she is septic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    So if your kids got a fever of over 42.4 you would take them to hospital ???
    I know once the fever hits over 42 the body start to shut down parifially to save the vital organs but its dangerous when that starts to happen
    Of course. The chances of that happening in a healthy child are next to nothing though. Unless the child is overdressed or there is some other external heat source (or if the fever is caused by vaccination possibly), the body cools itself down before it gets to that point I find it amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Let me preface this by saying I have two children with no health issues ... I have a digital thermometer that I haven't used in over two years.

I used to but when ds was 20mo we went to we for a high fever lethargic and rash ... They were great and fortunately the rash was caused by the fever so nothing major. The advice we were given by paed dr was to not worry about the number but rather the condition of the child ... If child is lethargic, rash, not drinking (no wet nappies) - er immediately ; of child has fever but is drinking and responsive to continue to manage it at home. Dh and I have subscribed to this ever since

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (05-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would've called the after hours house call doctors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    Let me preface this by saying I have two children with no health issues ... I have a digital thermometer that I haven't used in over two years.

I used to but when ds was 20mo we went to we for a high fever lethargic and rash ... They were great and fortunately the rash was caused by the fever so nothing major. The advice we were given by paed dr was to not worry about the number but rather the condition of the child ... If child is lethargic, rash, not drinking (no wet nappies) - er immediately ; of child has fever but is drinking and responsive to continue to manage it at home. Dh and I have subscribed to this ever since
    We have been to the ER plenty of times over the last 12 years. Fever without other worrying symptoms - dehydration, rash, lethargy, etc as you said, we don't worry about. Even when DD1 had meningitis, they didn't once try to bring the fever down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    We have been to the ER plenty of times over the last 12 years. Fever without other worrying symptoms - dehydration, rash, lethargy, etc as you said, we don't worry about. Even when DD1 had meningitis, they didn't once try to bring the fever down.
    Oh ok so you will take them in if symptamatic of infection that makes sense. im assuming they treated for your daughter meningitis with IV abs?? or was it viral meningitis

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kenz has never had a fever and not had other symptoms always tachicardia and working hard to breath, shooting up her sugars then bottoming them out, febrile convulsions etc she goes the whole hog the little bugger

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes of course, we don't not go to hospital (though I don't remember the last time any of us went to a GP or anything) We wouldn't go for something like they have now, which is an awful flu with really high temps though unless we thought someone was getting dehydrated or pneumonia or something.

She was treated with 3 different IV antibiotics and an anti viral because she was only 12 days old at the time. It turned out to be viral thank God but they started treating straight away before they got the results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The irresponsibility in this thread is kind of scary and I hope no one is taking the advice in here seriously. A healthy child most certainly can get temps that high, and suffer convulsions at fevers lower than 40 and a number of other complications. I dont think anyone should be taking advice that it's safe to allow a small child to reach a temp of 42 or anything over 40-41 to be perfectly honest.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babybubbles For This Useful Post:

beautifulbubba  (06-08-2012)