+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Heartbeat is ectopic?!

So I'm about 23 weeks pregnant. This morning I had a weird faint/dizzy spell but was sitting down. I was clammy and felt very strange. It lasted about five minutes and then I felt scared and shaky. I had bad heart palpitations too. And was breathless and felt a bit nauseas.
    I decided to go to hospital after calling midwife who said it sounded more about 'me' than the baby. Earlier in the week I wondered if I had a uti because I'd had quite bad back pain on the right.
    Anyway, hospital Did ECG and said I was having ectopic heartbeats. They said this is quite normal in pregnancy! Is it?? Anyone else out there have similar??
    In addition it's possible they might have picked up slight indication of bacteria in urine but couldn't be sure and gave me a low dose of antibiotic and said to see my doctor in a few days. Blood tests and baby were all perfectly fine.
    The uti bothers me a bit but it's more the irregular heartbeat thing. Guess I just want to see if it is common or if I should seek more medical advice tomorrow?!?! And what did it feel like if you have them?
    TIA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Laydeebugxxx  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my lovely im sure your fine, hope you get some answers soon and everything is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All people have ectopic beats, don't worry about it. You obviously just happened to have some/one during your ECG (ie. bad timing!). If they were worried they would have investigated further. Pregnancy puts extra strain on your cardiovascular system, so ectopic beats aren't unusual. Many people (pregnant or not!) would have probably had one by he time they've finished reading this thread! Hope you're feeling better soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dollbaby For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks Blue. You're sweet. Just wish I could feel assured about it!!! Feel like I've done all I can by going to hospital etc. but just feels strange with my heart doing weird things. And do want to know if anyone has had same thing and how they coped?!! (would just like a normal pregnancy!!!!!! 😡)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, and most of the time people don't even notice when they have ectopic beats. Sometimes people may feel a dropping sensation/"heart skipping a beat" etc, but usually they go unnoticed. Ectopic beats are not an "irregular heart beat/rhythm", as such. They are occasional out-of-place beats, which are normal. Hope this gives you some reassurance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have regular ectopic beats. I had a halter ECG done (so 24 hours) and I had 4000 ectopic beats in that period. If something (pregnancy for instance) has triggered them (mine were triggered by taking a sudafed tablet that put me into Atrial fribulation) it took a while for my autonomic nervous system to get used to the new "normal" I thought the breathless, dizzy, heart pounding, anxious feeling would never go away but they did! Hang in there. One day you will go "oh I haven't felt one for ages" and as soon as you acknowledge them you will become aware again lol. I found it hardest at night to ignore them and near impossible if I lay on my left side. So annoying. But harmless. Good luck!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ElizaDoLittle For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (05-08-2012),Tamtam  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. They are very disconcerting. I've suffered in the past with anxiety but this feeling was completely different. I could feel it and definitely noticed it. My heart felt like it was about to jump out of my chest.
    I might add that my little baby has a very serious congenital heart defect too so I got very worried something strange was happening with my body and I was losing her!!!!
    I hope they settle down. I've had several since coming home from hospital. It makes me feel weird.

Thanks
    Reviews
    tam hunni the docs at the hospital could not have been too concerned as they sent you home so take some comfort in that sweety

Thanks
    Reviews
    And the doctors were so good at **** that I had to explain the baby's condition etc and would you believe sent me home with a script with the wrong patient etc on it!! Didn't realize til I got to pharmacy. Hmmmm. (sorry about the sarcasm). This also means that someone else there today has my full name, date of birth, address etc etc!!! 😠

Thanks
    Reviews
    The day I went in to hospital in labour they told me the same thing about dd - it had never been mentioned before at all. I was told a paed would need to assess DD as soon as she was born, & a NICU nurse had to be present with a crash cart when she was born.

She is absolutely perfect, no issues at all.
    Last edited by becandabub; 05-08-2012 at 18:35.