+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as they are not in danger of hurting someone elses kids and are not being stupid with it then why not.

It's the olympics, we used to make up all sorts of sh1t that mimicked the sports we were watching. I remember setting up a 3 person luge on the slide once (my 2 brothers and myself) it was awesome fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't had DS yet, but I'm sure he will play with sticks. In fact, DH will likely actively encourage it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Maker For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (08-08-2012)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep. for sure.

I want my boys to be boys. To be wild and rugged and in touch with nature, to run and feel the wind and get muddy, to carry frogs in pockets and make fishing rods from branches, to climb trees and make mud pies, and roll down hills and find bugs and have pet lizards and carry earthworms, to make cubby houses and tree houses and build forts and bonfires.

So yeah, I'm cool with them playing with sticks.

I'm cool with them mowing the lawn

I'm cool with them having a pocket knife (which I am absolutely buying them for their 8th birthday!)

It's not about WHAT they are playing with, it's about the TIME spent invested in showing them HOW to play with things SAFELY.
    Equip them with the skills, don't cotton ball them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (10-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was recenty given detention at school (his first, by the way, at almost 11) for playing with sticks with a group of boys. I was called at home by the teacher who said they weren't being aggressive, merely playing, but it was deemed unacceptable, so he was kept at school while the other kids of his grade played sport. I was a bit taken aback, but figured I wasn't there to see it, so I left it at that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had a thought - maybe I should copy this thread and show the teacher! Maybe I should have said more??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's a bit different at school. Playing with sticks and rocks is generally not acceptable behaviour. I'm pretty sure jumping on soapy trampolines wouldn't be considered safe either on school grounds. Lol!! The duty of care and risk of others is much higher at school than at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    School is a different setting. As a teacher I am not permitted to let the children play with sticks at school.

My personal beliefs are my own, but health and safety policies must be followed at school to cover OUR backs. (I'm pretty sure most kids can play with sticks safely... but in the case of an injury, schools could be sued if they had 'allowed' it)

Thanks
    Reviews
    oK. Would it generally warrant detention though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he was asked to stop and didn't. Then, yes. If he was asked to stop and then did stop, he wouldn't have been in detention. If he was asked to stop, and said okay and then decided to keep doing it thinking the teacher wasn't watching.. then yes.
    He's 11. They do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh dear, gosh people can be busy body's can't they!

I'd probably let my little ones play with a stick if they so desired. I'd keep a close eye on them and decide whether or not I thought there was any danger to themselves or others and go from there.

Would not be impressed if someone told me I had to make my kids stop playing with something I had decided was fine for them to play with. I would probably have just said "don't worry the're fine, I'm watching them" and left it at that. How rude.