+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, of course. As long as nobody is being hit with the stick, then stick away kids.

I wonder if that woman's children are allowed to use pens and pencils. They are pretty capable of poking out an eye.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely! I don't see any issues at all with it, unless they are belting people with sticks?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My only reservation about my girls playing with sticks is that dd2 is still at the age of wanting to eat it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    "In my day, sticks were all we had to play with. No-one would mollycoddle us with a whole lot of toys. The sticks WERE the toys!" ()

I had a great time playing with sticks as a kid.
    By the way, I play with swords on a regular basis. Who am I to tell my little boy not to play with a stick when at some point, he's going to bust me shoving swords down my throat?

It does depend upon the context, though, and who's around. I was worried about my friend's 12mo playing with a giant wooden spoon the other day. The kid was whacking everything in sight, and I just knew he was going to hit my 13mo with it. She didn't see a prob with it, till she had to rush over and save my son! So it would also depend on the supervision aspect.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 06-08-2012 at 00:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lol. Just yesterday I was hunting through the park with DS looking for a decent stick for him to play with.

I make sure he doesn't hit anyone, but that goes for anything he's playing with - he could just as easily whack someone with his toy car in a tantrum moment as with a stick.

Its no different from long thin plastic toys - like plastic swords or light sabres, or even those long bubble wands! Except its free, and biodegradable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yep, I do all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes dd plays with sticks. Nothing wrong with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All kids should play with sticks! What else will you put your lady beetles on or toast your sandwich over the fire with! You need to learn early on how to handle them tho, seems they can be really wild!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course! I wouldn't even think anything of it! Obviously COMMON SENSE comes into play - ensure they aren't using it as a weapon, or maybe don't give your 1yo a stick if they are just going to eat it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't restrict my son from playing with sticks, but, given his age (3.5), I am mindful of him using them around other kids. I was particularly mindful when he was going through his slightly aggressive stage.

But, generally, I have no issue. I mean, are the toy manufacturers going to develop plastic "safety sticks" or something that are guaranteed never to poke out an eye? I grew up in the 80s and don't recall any kids losing eyes to sticks.

A friend of mine did have a stick related incident. She was a passenger in a van with an open door, and a stick flicked up from the tyre and hit her thigh at high speed and went in pretty deep. But that's a pretty random stick injury.