+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Falling pregnant whilst breastfeeding

Hi ladies,

DH and I aren't planning on TTC #2 until the end of this year, but I like to be super organised!

I'm breastfeeding my eight and a half month old son - on demand, so usually 5-6 times a day. AF returned in May and since then I've had two long cycles - 42 and 38 days. Before I fell pregnant with DS my cycles were 29 days long.

Anyway, just interested to hear stories from Mums who TTC whilst they were still breastfeeding. What were your cycles like, how long did it take etc.

TIA!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DS1 was 5.5 months when we fell utd with DS2 he was feeding at least 12 times a day.

I was tandem feeding when I fell pregnant next but that ended in a mc.

The next time I fell pregnant DS1 had weaned but I was feeding DS2 a lot I actually ended up getting a blood test done to see if I was ovulating which I was, doc didn't think I would be given how often DS2 was feeding. This pregnancy gave us DD.

I fell utd recently, had a period in March again in April (april was very light and only went for 2 days) I had one day of spotting in May and fell pregnant between April & May. I didn't find out how far along I was exactly but I had a termination.

My cycles are always erractic the first few months, I remember having one period between DS1 and DS2, I had a period just after DS2 turned 1 and my next wasnt for a few months then I had odd ones for a few months until they became regular, when they were regular and we weren't falling pregnant was when I went for that blood test.

I would give it a few months to happen, you'll ovulate before a period anyway if your periods don't become regular Id look at night weaning which I have heard can help.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started TTCing when my ds was 10 months old and I was still breastfeeding 5-6 times a day. Af returned when ds was 6 months old and my cycles were anywhere from 28 to 34 days. We were very lucky and fell pregnant first try. I'm now 23 weeks pregnant and there will be a 19 month age gap.

Good luck for when you start trying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Forgot to say I continued breastfeeding until ds was 12 months old.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    my dd was 6 months old, fully breastfed when i fell pregnant with my son.

My period came back when she was 6 weeks old. We fell pregnant quite easily. Breastfeeding was not an issue for us at all with regard to falling pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing. DS is 9.5 months and we're wanting to TTC at the end of the year / start of next year but no AF yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks everyone so far for the replies. Sounds like I really shouldn't worry too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fell pregnant when my son was 12 months old and demand fed. I'd only had 3 cycles and they were quite regular and average length. We'd been trying basically since our son was born, but ended up falling pregnant once he started sleeping through the night and had dropped the night feeds.

Good luck ttc!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    We weren't ttc but we didn't try not to...IFYKWIM. Ds1 arrived after years of trying then Ivf. We figured the chance of falling pregnant was not high but, even with demand feeding and no AF, I fell pregnant when he was 11 months old. Didn't realise until he was 12 months though! I had to stop bfing shortly after as the 24/7 m/s was crippling.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've conceived twice while breastfeeding. Both times it finally happened when my cycle was back to a "regular" 28 days and I O'd around day 14. It took a few months the first time and 5 months the next, although I'm in my late 30's which is also a factor.
    I found OPK's helpful in pinpointing the days to BD. I basically followed the sperm meets egg plan (SMEP if you google will bring up the info).
    I have a 19 month gap between #1 and #2, and 23 months between #2 and #3. I continued to breastfeed into my 2nd trimester both pregnancies.
    HTH