+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd call a natural birth a vaginal delivery.

A natural labour would be not induced.

And a drug free birth self explanatory.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (04-08-2012),WhitePeach  (04-08-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I guess I think vaginal = natural to me because if you're talking about intervention it gets too grey. Is using water 'unnatural'? Herbs? Natural drugs? (i'm sure many societies use local plants etc) any form of birthing expert attending? I consider medical tools for birth are probably as old as birthing, it just seems clearer to say baby out the vagina = natural birth.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    And I say natural birth for vaginal birth because I feel more comfortable saying natural than vaginal. Particularly leading up to it. I knew where baby was coming out.... kinda didst want to think about it too specifically. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me it means no drugs or intervention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    for me if it comes out vaginally then thats natural, and pain relief for me its classed as natural. If i was induced though thats not natural as labour didnt start by itself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So what if labour starts on its own but stops progressing? If drugs or other means are then used to keep labour from stalling, is it still natural?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it interesting that some people consider any vaginal birth a 'natural' birth. To me natural birth meant a vaginal birth, no induction, no drugs, no intervention- that was my goal with my birth anyway. I felt bad that my birth wasn't natural in my mind, because although I had no drugs, I ended up with an assisted delivery. I usually say I had a 'drug free' birth when people ask... but I've found most people are most interested in the cute baby than in the semantics of how he got here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's why I dislike the term 'natural birth' there is so much room for differing definitions and mummy guilt creeping in.

I use the term vaginal and c/s then you can add in induced/drug free/elective/emergency depending on how much you want people to know

DS was an emergency cs after spontaneous labor and delayed 2nd stage I had ARM at 4cm gas peth and epi

DD vaginal(VBAC) with spontaneous labor ARM at 7cm(hospital guidelines) and gas

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bel0v3d For This Useful Post:

Nettle  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have had 3 drug free vaginal births but 'technically' they weren't 'natural'.

1st - induction with waters broken and the injection for birthing the placenta.

2nd - injection for the placenta

3rd - stretch and sweep, spontaneous labour but waters broken by midwife and injection for placenta

But I don't really give a f$ck what they are labelled because I pushed watermelons out of my v jay jay.

To me it is 'natural' to have a baby it should not matter how it got out except safely.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've yet to find a good definition of the word "natural" when it describes anything. I think it's used because heaven forbid someone should say the word "vagina"

There is some inference that a 'natural' birth is how birth is supposed to be, how nature designed it but woman have been using medicinal pain relief for centuries so I don't think a birth that uses drugs for pain relief can be written off as not being natural. Also, and more contraversially, I don't think it's as easy to write off c-sects as not being natural. After all they were invented by humans and carried out by humans on humans and we're natual, aren't we?