+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So does that mean only one of my births was natural? My first, I went Into labour spontaneously, about 20 hours into labour I had my waters broken. Delivered without any instruments. No drugs. I had bulging waters and I agreed to ARM.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    So does that mean only one of my births was natural? My first, I went Into labour spontaneously, about 20 hours into labour I had my waters broken. Delivered without any instruments. No drugs. I had bulging waters and I agreed to ARM.

That, to me, is an intervention.

But what does it really matter?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    That, to me, is an intervention.

But what does it really matter?
    I guess it doesn't. But I have always said I had two natural births. So I just didn't realise people would consider that my birth wasn't natural with my son. I suppose I view natural birth as the best way to go.. I hear the word intervention as a bad word for some reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Loulabelle View Post
    I see natural birth as no drugs or interventions vaginal birth.

I don't think drugs and interventions are natural. I would classify these births just as vaginal.
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews

That's what got me wondering! I have had 3 vaginal births.

Dd1 - spontaneous labour at 31 weeks. Nefedipene to stop labour, didn't work, labour continued and I tried gas for pain relief for about 5 mins but gave up on it.

Dd2 - prelabour from 33 weeks. Prem labour stopped at 33+4 then presented at hospital at 36w with increasing discomfort/pressure. ARM due to bulging membranes and she arrived 40 mins later. No other meds/interventions.

Ds1 - born in ambulance en route to hospital. No meds, no anything..

I always refer to them all as natural births but technically dd2 would be an intervention? And so would dd1?
    Which would leave DS as my only really 'natural' birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i don't see leaving home during labour and going to a foreign place as truly natural, (the natural way of things).

i don't think ve's during labour are particularly natural either.

but i also don't care how other women choose to label their births.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess my sons birth wasn't natural. I was induced, used the gas and had an episotomy. I have never needed to label it though.
    when ds was being weighed and stuff, my midwife said I did well to not need any drugs. But I had had gas? confused.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not fussed about it being a 'label' as such, just when I'm talking to other mums I wondered if other people had other ideas on what was natural..

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear the word intervention as a bad word for some reason.
    In relation to this comment, there is no doubt that intervention rates are too high. We have gone from using medicine to assist a birthing situation which could be the difference between life and death, to completely medically managing most births. *Most* women don't need full blown medical assistance - the female body is formed in a manner which enables successful pregnancies and births, *most* of the time.

Excessive, unnecessary interventions are bad. Necessary intervention is not. Unfortunately there is a lot of guilt surrounding births and mothers are made out to be failures for 'needing' assistance (even though birthing a baby is a HUGE feat, no matter if it's vaginal, natural, caesarian!). It is the system failing us.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (04-08-2012),Lillynix  (04-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (04-08-2012),schmara  (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    well i had gas and morphine with both my bubs. And was induced with my son.

I consider my daughters birth natural and my sons not.