+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What do you class as 'natural' labour?

I've been reading all these threads on inductions and it got me thinking.

Pre children i had always thought a natural birth was a vaginal birth with no drugs, interventions, etc. but have since come to realise that most people refer to all vaginal births as natural.

What do you think classifies a birth as natural or non-natural (Not sure what term to use as none seem appropriate or sensitive to caesarian births??)

I realise that this is a topic that people will have strong opinions on but please try to remain on topic and relevant as I am really quite interested in peoples responses and experiences.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Natural labour for me is zero intervention.

No drugs, no inductions, no interventions. Nothing. Just the mother birthing her babe.

By definition, it's not "natural" to have drugs or forceps or vacuum extraction. This doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong, it's just not the natural state of giving birth.

Unfortunately I think the term has a lot of negative associations in this day and age, and can lead mothers to feel guilty for having interventions, which of course is not the idea. It's merely the correct definition.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (04-08-2012),Amiedoll  (04-08-2012),babyla  (04-08-2012),BornToBe  (04-08-2012),Bubbles10  (04-08-2012),Cazza1981  (04-08-2012),Guest1234  (04-08-2012),Lillynix  (04-08-2012),schmara  (05-08-2012),SugarSkull  (04-08-2012),wrena  (04-08-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep I refer to vaginal as natural and c-section I suppose is surgical so not natural. That how I class it anyway.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Natural to me implies a vaginal delivery free from intervention or drugs. I have noticed that people will refer to a 'natural delivery' when they have had pain relief/forceps so I think everyone has a different definition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With my first 2 daughters I went into labour on my own but had an epidural with each. DD1 required forceps and ventouse and DD2 I had major problems with my placenta so had many interventions.
    with baby number 3 I plan on going drug free so for me personally it will be my natural birth. if I can get through labour with no drugs that's my natural lol.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

No drugs, no inductions, no interventions. Nothing. Just the mother birthing her babe.

By definition, it's not "natural" to have drugs or forceps or vacuum extraction. This doesn't mean it's necessarily wrong, it's just not the natural state of giving birth.

Unfortunately I think the term has a lot of negative associations in this day and age, and can lead mothers to feel guilty for having interventions, which of course is not the idea. It's merely the correct definition.
    This

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The way I had my 2 was far from nat and I doubt my little bubble will be any dif. I had csections.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I say 'natural' when referring to my labour and birth with DD1- I had an epidural but i don't feel comfortable saying vaginal delivery- natural sounds a bit nicer lol.

Dd2 I say was "completely natural and drug free". Because it was. No intervention at all, no pain relief.

That's just my own definition. I think everyone is different and has a different view on what "natural" labour and birth is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, what Witwicky said. I kinda get the feeling people say "natural" birth for a baby coming out of a vagina because they hate saying "vaginal"!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

This