+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2.5yo struggling to sleep at night - any extra tips appreciated

My 2.5yo, almost 3yo is struggling with sleeping at night. I can hear him tossing & turning alot of the night. He is not nightime toilet trained just yet and still wears a nappy to bed but lately has been filling 2-3 nappies a night and wetting through the bed. (I thought it best to have his GP check him out as he is also increasingly thirsty & some other symptoms)

Granted he has had some upheaval recently with his baby brother arriving and visitors staying with us etc. Also he now has to share Mummy and Daddy gets up to him throughout the night now..

He has always been a wonderful sleeper and needed lots of sleep as he is spirited and on the go constantly. He struggles to go to sleep of an evening if he has a day sleep (which he still needs) BUT he can sleep anywhere from 1-4 hours in the day. So because of the late night he sleeps in until 8am or 8.30am.
    Ah sorry it is sounding confusing! But his routine is totally out of whack and this is what I am or am going to try to help him:

*Wake him at 7am
    *Morning Physical activity in the garden/yoga & lunch
    *Day sleep from 1pm to 2pm (1 hour only)
    *When he wakes from day sleep - ride bike/walk with the pram to burn some energy
    *Bath 5.30pm, tea 6-6.30pm
    *Bedtime Routine starts at 7pm, in bed at 7.30pm for a story, lights on and leave him to read if he wants.
    *Am considering a homeopathic remedy to try at night - someone has recommended ID Calming for kids? Also will look at his diet more closely as his sugar intake has definately been higher than normal with Grandparents and sweets around.

Would really appreciate any insight, thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know I'm not encouraging my son to be as active as yours but we are having massive sleep issues here.

Even though he spent all day outside today using energy it was 9.30 when he finally went to sleep and he only had a 25min day sleep in the car on the way home from family farm!

I'm about to have another baby and fear things are only going to get worse as he won't fall asleep without me next to him (he plays with my hair)

I wish you the best. Just a thought has he been unwell? Cold? Ear infection? Anything?

A new sibling is enough to change a sleep routine in its self.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smootch For This Useful Post:

SugarplumMummy  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We limit water after dinner as DS1 was also wetting through. Have you tried that? If DS1 wants a drink, we just fill up his water bottle a little. We realised it wasn't thirst but habit.

Looking at sugar is good but try looking at whether he has any processed foods? The additives can be as bad as sugar for a small person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried cutting back the liquids of an evening but he is thirsty throughout the whole day too. He will beg me for more drink! I am actually going to ask the doctor about thirst and diabetes?

I am really encouraging the physical activity to burn his excess energy & wear him out! Do you think hd is overdoing it with that schedule?

We listened to him last night, he tosses & turns, sleep talks & dreams.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and yes we are in the process of eating down the canned goods and packets in the pantry & are going to go mostly whole foods as I am also concerned about additives & preservatives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'll preface this by saying my ds has been a cr!p sleeper his entire life!!

He's now 2.5 and we've made a conscious effort to cut out sugar and processed food - he is sleeping a MILLION times better than he ever did!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think he's probably thirsty because he's doing sooo much physical activity during the day ...

He might be tossing and turning because his muscles are too wound up, maybe try giving him a massage after his bath ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats good to hear that your DS is sleeping much better!

The thirst is not from the physical activity as the morning & arvo physical activity is something new I am going to try. But now I have started more physical activity I am sure he will be even more thirsty. The extent of his physical activity has been once a day pottering around the garden/sandpit so not sure if this is strenuous enough to be creating such thirst!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A massage is an excellent idea thankyou!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We found with DS who is 18 months that limiting his day sleep to 2 hours and not past 2.30pm (ideally 12-2) has really helped him get to sleep at night. Apart from cutting out sugar and preservatives, which is a good idea, have you considered keeping a food diary? We only discovered after a year of horrible sleepless nights that DS is mildly allergic to tomatoes and citrus and it keeps him up all night.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post: