+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 4 year old stuttering..

My four year old son has recently started stuttering even though he was speaking perfectly before now. Should I be concerned? He says things like "Mummy, I I I I I I want the dinosaur" or "May, may, may, maybe we can go to the park". He does it even when he's calm - not excited, just in regular speech and he does it constantly - almost every sentence. I am not sure if this is a stage or not, or even if maybe he's heard someone doing it and is copying their speech. Should I take him to a GP or something?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How long exactly has he been doing it for? I would go to the gp just to get checked to be onnthe safe side. Im not one for prolonged 'waiting it out' but thats just me.

Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He's been doing for about two weeks now. Maybe I should wait a bit longer to see if he "grows out of it"??

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Perhaps if thats what you feel comfortable with, have you googled what causes it? Stress? Lack of sleep? Etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No advice sorry but my 4 yr old son has started this recently too...he went through a stage of this a while back also,and then just stopped,but now it's back. He also had/sometimes still has issues with forming his sounds correctly,like leaving the start of words or end of words off,so we saw a speech therapist who gave us homework to do,which made a huge improvement.
    We will be seeing the therapist again in a few weeks so hopefully she can tell me why this might be happening again. Perhaps look into a speech therapist? You can see a public one for free but the wait list can be very long unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I'm crashing here but just wanted to let you know that my brother stuttered at age 4 for about a year or so. It went away on its own and it never returned, he's now 30

My DD1 is 3 and a half and she stutters too but I haven't worried too much as I saw my brother go through it and grow out of it.

Can't hurt to get him checked out if you're concerned though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm crashing too but my nephew had the same thing when he was four and we worked out that it was because he was playing Dora the explorer games on the computer. We only worked it out when we went over there for dinner one night and they couldn't get him off the computer. Just a suggestion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a similar thing with my DS at four. Apparently it's very common at that age, their brain is going after than their mouth. I waiting 3 weeks, made a doc appointment and it stopped. A
    Couple of weeks later, same cycle again. Then it just stopped and never came back. I'd wait a bit personally, see what you are feeling about it in another week. And then make an appointment to see someone and then the next day it will have disappeared if he is anything like my kids lol