+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Blood in poo

Hi there!

I am freaking out a little and don't have an appointment to see the Dr until 2.15pm, but has anyone ever had blood in their 13 month olds poo??

It looks like it is in her poo and theres streaks on her nappy. There also looks like a small blood clot attached to her poo.

Has anyone experienced this and what was the outcome??????

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it alot of blood ?

Has she been constipated ?

Does she seem unwell ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't say it's alot, but def enough where I noticed it straight away without looking. She poos daily, it was a bit firmer than normal, but I wouldn't say it was big and it was more pellet type. The only thing I have noticed over the last couple of days is that she's a bit clingy and has been eating alot more than usual. I did put this down to teething and growth spurt???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you keep the nappy? Gross i know but doc will want to see/test. Ds1 had the same thing about the same age. Doc put it down to a fissure I think. No more probs. don't stress too much. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Her poo might have been a bit hard ? Hope everything is ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi when my dd was 15mths i also noticed blood in her poo. Streaky and i saw it in about 3 nappies in a row.
    I didnt go to the gp straight away as she seemed fine. She was eating, drinking and was her usual self, no temperature and didnt seem to be in any discomfort.
    After a couple days i didnt see any blood anymore in her poos.
    I put it down to a bit of constipation. I gave her a sipy cup of fresh, pulpy orange juice and increased her dried fruit for a few days.

Just a bit of info: Sometimes when constipated, the poo can be a bit rough/hard and tear the rectum a little bit as it's comming out.
    I'd increase fluids and add extra fibre to her diet. If the blood os still there after a couple days and she is in obvious discomfort, it might mean a trip to your GP.

Goodluck.
    Last edited by Hunkamunka; 03-08-2012 at 14:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've just had the same experience with my almost 6 month old DS.

He is fully breastfed and hasn't started solids yet then last Thursday his nappies had blood in them. Freaked me right out!

I ended up taking him to hospital and we had to stay for 3 days. He had a salmonella infection and the platelets in his blood dropped quite low causing the bleeding. He ended up on a drip and it was all a bit scary.

He's fine now just had to have a number of blood tests to check that his platelets had risen and all back to normal plus antibiotics to treat the infection.

I hope your DD is ok and doesn't go as far as my little man!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for the replies!

She has a little tear in her anus. Our Dr said this would be from either doing a too firm poo or straining. I could see the little tear when the Dr showed me. Am to just check her poops over the next few day to make sure there's not much more blood.

What a relief.... Thanks again!

xx

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Oh my. I just saw this thread and was worried I might freak you out by my response but if the doctor has checked and it's only a little tear that's great news! A couple of months ago I noticed a teeny tiny bit of blood coming from DD's bottom. I took her straight to the doctor who told me to get her straight to the hospital. The did an US and found 2 interseseptions (sp?) which is when the intestines telescopes back on itself. This is normally in the large intestine and they would usually treat by (I'm trying to think of a polite way of saying this) squirting air up the bottom. However, DD's were in her small intestines (very unusual) and this would not have worked. She didn't have any other symtoms of interseseptions either, no ab cramping and she was fine and happy. The doctors decided to wait for a while to see if they would fix themselves but she was nil by mouth in case the didn't fix themselves she would need emergency surgery. So she had a canulla inserted (took 4 goes and she HOWLED!) and was on a drip. A few hours went by and another US revealed one had fixed itself. We were admitted to stay overnight and in the morning a third US confirmed that the second one had fixed itself, needless to say we were VERY releaved. If anyone is reading this the usual symptoms are blood in the poo but it looks a bit like jelly (DD's wasn't like that at all though, it was a trickle of blood) and ab cramping. If left untreated and it doesn't fix itself it will most likely be fatal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply Bec, I probably would've freaked out (more), but it's also good to get a heads up on different possible scenarios...

Also wanted to add that some of you have had some more serious scares, thanks for sharing. Lol, I acutally did keep the poo and take it with me. He he he!

xx