+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hmmm Not rolling much at 7mths Not sure if I should be concerned

Hi All.
    My DD won't roll much and I am not sure if I should be concerned. By health nurses definitions and the norm I will probably get told she is delayed. She was born three weeks early which is not really classified as prem but due to her birth weight the paed said she was prem and actually thought maybe my dates were wrong by a week and she may have been 36 weeks. But she doesn't want to roll. She will only tolerate tummy time for five minutes. She can roll from front to back but not all the time and gets very frustrated. She won't place her hands flat or arms down to help push herself over. Today when i went to help put her arms down to help her position better to roll I heard little cracks in her shoulders. Yikes hoping I haven't broken her. But when she trys to roll she is rolling onto her shoulder which doesn't look comfortable at all. As from Back to front well she has no desire to do it. Just wondering how many others are in the same boat. She is happy to sit in front of me but not quiet at stage of propping up with pillows. She will stand and loves to stand but wont roll. It is frustrating me as I hate being told there is something wrong or your baby is slow. To me they all develop at there own speed. She is just taking much longer. I have a friends boy who has only just started walking and he was 22 months. I guess once they start rolling you cant just put in one spot and come back to them so from that perspective I am happy but I am starting to get concerned. otherwise she seems to be meeting her milestones.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bluebutterfly74 For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (07-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    hi. my dd2 is having the same problems. she too is 7 months (5 1/2 corrected as she was 6 weeks early). she spend time in nicu and scn and we think as a result of being early and a few other things that could not have been avoided, she now has some upper body weekness mostly in her arms and her arms sometimes flex or move backwards on their own. we are on a physio waiting list but I am gonna have to try to hurry them up. she has rolled from her tummy maybe 6 times in the last 2 months and never rolled from her back to tummy. All I have been told is to increase tummy time as much as you can and encourage upper body activities like reaching out for things, holding hands for her to balance herself in sitting position etc anything that makes her use her arm muscles more. maybe if in about 3 weeks if she still hasnt caught up get a Dr or health nurse to giver her a check up to see what you are talking about. But yeah all babies are different and develop at different rates at this age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes I think I will book her into my physio. I think she is fine but that is good to know. My boy didn't roll till 6mths which is also probably considered late and sat a bit later but all in all he is very active almost five year old now climbing well great gross motor skills. Both delivered by c sections I think sometimes that affects there movement but I am going to put it down to a developmental thing. She didn't start tracking with her eyes as early as the paed expected but put it down to her being a little under developed. My girl was in neo care for about 10 days. Will try and increase her tummy time but she gets very cranky and frustrated but she is better than my boy was. thanks. Be good to see who else is having issues. I think she is actually in a hurry and wants to just go straight to walking.lol she has been doing abdominal crunches since three months pulling her head up above her shoulders. They will get there they always do.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Some tips that helped DS:
    - When they are laying on their back tickle their tummy and the legs will come up. Eventually the legs will fall to one side which is step one of learning to role from back to front.
    - Tummy time is not exclusive to putting bubs down on their tummy on a mat. You can lie them on your tummy (tummy to tummy) as you lay on the couch or bed. Sit on the floor with them and use your leg to prop under their chest. Hold them upright and don't support their head so they have to support it. Carry them around on your arm so their chest faces the inner part of your forearm. When you're playing with them on the floor and they are lying on their back, hold their hands and slowly sit them up. This will exercise the neck muscles. If their head droops back do it nice and slow. I used to put DD on her tummy in the cot after a nappy change so I could go and wash my hands. It meant that every day she got lots of little bits of tummy time and I didn't have to make a special time for it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (03-08-2012),giggle berry  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebutterfly74 View Post
    To me they all develop at there own speed.
    Bluebutterfly, you said it yourself, kids develop at their own pace. If you think she is doing ok, just keep doing what you are doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS didn't start rolling regularly until about 8mths and he was born a week late! Everything else was fine and he could sit unaided etc, was just too lazy to roll around. Once he started rolling finally, within a few weeks he was crawling very fast!

All babies develop differently, try not to worry, although I know it's hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son is 8.5 months old and isn't interested in rolling over or moving. He stays put where i put him and just cries till i pick him up or let him sit on my lap. I know he can roll but he just doesn't want to. Anyway i had him checked by a physio at our local child health clinic, free and no waiting. He's ok, the problem is me, i respond to him too quickly and hold him too much, he needs more excircise and challenge.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi op,

I'm on my phone so forgive the short post but if you can spare the cash I would highly recommend taking your bub to gymbaroo. They have age appropriate exercises to facilitate developmental milestones. This is by no means a substitute for appropriate medical intervention if needed it's just sonethibg that you zan fo together that will be of benefit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by scotmum2be View Post
    Hi op,

I'm on my phone so forgive the short post but if you can spare the cash I would highly recommend taking your bub to gymbaroo. They have age appropriate exercises to facilitate developmental milestones. This is by no means a substitute for appropriate medical intervention if needed it's just sonethibg that you zan fo together that will be of benefit.
    Yes I agree, gymbaroo would really help as the exercises are designed to help strengthen and promote movement. They will also give you ideas for what to do at home to help too. DS loves going.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Relax, you sound like I did with DD1. She was late born. The day she turned 9 months old she got up and crawled. Before this she didnt roll or move, she could sit unaided from 5 months. She was a 'late' walker. Now at 3 you would never know. In hindsight I wish I just let her be and saved my stress for important things. DD2 is almost 6m and showing no desire to sit, roll or anything, but I am just enjoying it, if she isnt by the time she is 1 I will worry.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (08-08-2012)