+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Silly mofo...he is just operating within a window of risk, not thinking of what you want. I was induced like 15 days over, and it was textbook hell. Everything went wrong..ended in a c-section after 2 days of hellish labour, and at the time I feel like I made the right choice. I still do now, but if I could do it again, I wouldn't. Go with your gut. Don't let them bully you. See if you can get a doula to support you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubmum For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I am so sorry you've experienced this. It is appalling that they throw the dead baby card at you, just appalling.

My DS was induced at 40+16. He was supposed to be induced at 40+14 but they were too busy so I hand to stay at the hospital for 2 days doing nothing but walk around and surrounded by women who had just had their babies whilst I was thinking I was going to be preg for the rest of my life. Induction was awful. I was crying out for an epi within an hour of it starting. Labour was around 12 hours, there is absolutely no way I could have coped without the epi. In contract I was adamant with DD's birth that she was going to be a spontaneous labour. Labour was 18 hours and the pain only got serious in the last hour!

I'll just list a few more arguments for you in case you want to use:
    - Inductions will most likely mean having an epi and this will mean labouring on your back and birthing on your back which is not optimum. (You gon't have gravity to help get baby in the right position and the baby has to push uphill to get out.) THere is a strong chance you will have an instrument delivery which is traumatic for baby and mother and greatly increases the risk of tearing. Not all tearing heals effectively, many women are left with pain and incontinence for the rest of their life.
    - There is a good chance of having an emergency CS when induced. An emergency CS will also be traumatic for baby and mother and is not optimal for either (no benefit of hormones for mother and no benefit of baby being pushed through the vagina to clear their lungs). If you have a CS recovery time is longer and you would have to fight to birth vaginally in the future (and it may not be possible at all).

It is YOUR body and YOUR baby. Part of being a mother is knowing what's best for your baby and women need to have faith in their own instincts. Tell the OB you want to know what the risks of the induction and what are the risks of being overdue and I'll make my mind up! Ask for numbers, not just "the risk is very small" or "the risk is high". They are meaningless terms. They can't make you do anything you don't consent to!

ETA: My DS born at 40+16 had a very healthy placenta, as did my DD born at 40+10.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 03-08-2012 at 14:48.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is a little off topic and I don't know if you are open to acupuncture, but I have heard of some great results with people getting acupuncture to help their body prepare for labour, and if overdue, encourage your body to start the ball rolling. Perhaps it could get your labour going, or get your body in a more 'ready' state which would help if you go ahead with the induction on Tuesday.

I would love to know the hospital? (understand if u dont want to say).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peasmum For This Useful Post:

equinemagic  (04-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Taiyed, not being insensitive here at all but maybe all this stress will bring on labour naturally? Maybe go for a nice long walk tonight and get some fresh air into you....you never know?

I really feel for you. I never got my natural birth as i planned or dreamed of as my dd was breech at 40 weeks and they told me she "had to come out asap as in the next morning!" i was naieve, first baby and all and just went with what ever the doc's said as i trusted them. But it was still perfect, so special and a beautiful birth via cesarian.

Looking back now i maybe would have asked for a few more days to get my head around it all or if its even possible for her to turn or be turned?! but oh well. I got a beautiful healthy baby in the end and i sometimes think that's the most important part when it all comes down to it.

Goodluck with it all.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunkamunka For This Useful Post:

equinemagic  (04-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Do u not trust the Advice of your ob? What is more important a natural delivery or safe delivery? Take a warm bath and do some relaxation and visualize a healthy baby. At the end of the day the delivery doesn't define the mother. I am perplexed by your resolve. Please please trust me your delivery will not change how you perform at the real job...being a mum.
    I think you have missed the point.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (07-08-2012),BornToBe  (04-08-2012),Bubbles10  (03-08-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (03-08-2012),lones  (03-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (03-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your cx is shut and it's not favorable to do a s&s but ok to induce???

Mental. Btw the risks of stillbirth are the same at 37wk and 42wks. No one routinely induces at 37wks either.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (18-01-2014),Busy-Bee  (03-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (03-08-2012),MissRose1  (05-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Do u not trust the Advice of your ob? What is more important a natural delivery or safe delivery? Take a warm bath and do some relaxation and visualize a healthy baby. At the end of the day the delivery doesn't define the mother. I am perplexed by your resolve. Please please trust me your delivery will not change how you perform at the real job...being a mum.
    Thank you for your honest reply. I value your opinion and post very much. I am open to anyones suggestions!

I would love to have a natural and safe delivery - thats the problem. They are only looking at it from the safe perspective. Although surely some 'safe' induction processes carry risk too.

If the baby was not doing well i would be letting them book me in now. Id say hook me up, give me a c section, i would do anything. However there has been no indication of any problems.

The dr has only met me twice, last week for 2 minutes and then again today. I had the distinct feeling that she hadnt even read my notes or record. She wouldnt budge from the hospital standard. So - no i dont trust that she has my best interest in mind (or that of the baby). She has the hospitals best interest in mind.

I agree with you that the delivery etc doesnt count at the end of the day, and i have kept an open mind as to what the delivery will be. I just dont see why i 'have' to be induced on a certain date.

I will definately take a warm bath and do some visualisation! What a lovely suggestion. I think i need to calm down a little and relax.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (04-08-2012),Bubbles10  (03-08-2012),equinemagic  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    If your cx is shut and it's not favorable to do a s&s but ok to induce???

Mental. Btw the risks of stillbirth are the same at 37wk and 42wks. No one routinely induces at 37wks either.
    I agree, I find it so crazy!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (03-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (03-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My experience with an inducement at 40+9 weeks was a "textbook" exAmple of why people don't want to be induced before they are ready. 45 hours, every possible inducement procedure & drug, ended with a csection. As well as the jerks I dealt with along the way.

I did start discussing "my options" if I went "overdue" with katelyn. The mw got nervous and made an appointment for me to "discuss" it with an ob. Fortunately I had had bub before that appointment came but I couldn't be induced for a vbac but had decided I was fine with as much monitoring as would make them feel comfortable and a csection at 42 weeks. But it didn't come to that fortunately!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    have sex ! that will get the baby coming

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lovable For This Useful Post:

equinemagic  (04-08-2012),GlitterFarts  (03-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)