+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Contact the hospital consumer advocate. The dr is not practising best medical practise, not informing you of your options with correct risks and benefits. The consumer advocate should be able to arrange for you to talk to someone who will run through your options with you.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (07-08-2012),Boobycino  (03-08-2012),Bubmum  (03-08-2012),equinemagic  (04-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (03-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks all, was just curious. I was induced at 37 weeks because of babys size (small) and just went along with what they said because I assumed they knew best and put aside my ideal labour for the sake of baby. I found being induced OK- I mean, it hurt, but isn't labour meant to? It was my first so I had nothing to compare it to as well. Good luck with it all OP!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

blondekelli  (05-08-2012),equinemagic  (04-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I think it's cos full term goes from 37-42 wks. And induced labours are often harder, need epis and end up with a cascade of interventions. Nearly half of induced labours in first time mums end up as emergency cs.

Plus you have to labour on their (hospy) time vs your own body.

I've had an induced labour and a spontaneous one. Hands down the induced labour was horrible and emotionally wrenching.

Thanks rose&aurelia - couldnt have put together a better response. This is exactly why i am hesitant. Plus DP was 10 days 'over due' and i was born at 40 wks. All of my siblings were born post 40 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We really tried hard to negotiate and get our point accross with this dr (i dont think she had even read my record), i said i would come in next wednesday when they have clinic to be checked and then happy to be monitored daily past that. It got to the point where she was a broken record, said horrible things about the risks we were taking to try and throw us. In the end we said fine - make your appointment and we will decide if we turn up. Then we left.

She just went on and on about how we cant expect to have a natural birth and have to be flexible. She said their policy is 10 days over and she wouldnt agree to have me come in for daily monitoring. She said its all well and good to check the baby each day but lots can change in the hours between monitoring. Risk to the baby was too high etc etc. told me i couldnt have a strech and sweep until tuesday morning and what was the point when we would be booked in for induction on tuesday evening. Couldnt do one today because cervix is shut.

I dont really plan on holding out past 42 weeks, i just want up until then and i dont think that's unreasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Wow, I am so sorry you have been put in that positsion. They can't refuse to monitor you, that is ridiculous! If your cervix is shut your body is obviously not ready! I don't know what else to say but this makes me really sad, it is all too common. Risks come with induction too xoxo

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (04-08-2012),captainscaptain  (04-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (03-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was in exactly the same position. Textbook pregnancy, and the hospital bullied me into an induction at 40+10. My body just wasn't ready, and it was the typical cascade of intervention (started with gel, then manually breaking waters, then the drip, then CFM (where they attach the monitor to the baby's head in utero), then failure to progress, then epidural, then episiotomy, then vacuum delivery. Thankfully I avoided a c/s. It was long, painful, frightening and I felt a complete lack of control.

When my son was born, his placenta was perfect. There was no reason to induce. I am home birthing this time as I didn't want to go through that again.

Unfortunately, you have to be very firm with the hospital and tell them you won't be induced for merely post dates, but that you will attend daily to be checked.

eta: i just saw your post. just turn up at the hospital and ask for them to monitor. they have a duty of care so should have to check you. I'm sorry the latter stages of your pregnancy have to be like this. This makes me so angry.
    Last edited by MsMummy; 03-08-2012 at 14:08.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (04-08-2012),captainscaptain  (04-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, im glad you all have advice to give me. My MIL arrives tomorrow - hopefully she can 'help' me get my point accross with the hospital staff. I will see if she is willing to come with me on monday to the hospital to ask for a strech and sweep.

MsMummy - your post is exactly why i want to avoid induction. At this stage there is no sign the baby is at risk. It seems quite happy in there and my fundus height is still increasing.

at the end of the day a due date is just a date isn't it. Last time i checked the baby didnt have access to a calendar

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

equinemagic  (04-08-2012),Sarelou  (03-08-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quite frankly she is full of sh!t about not monitoring you past 40+ 10. She can't make that decision, a public hospital has a duty of care to anyone who turns up. what a nasty cow.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (07-08-2012),equinemagic  (04-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (03-08-2012),RubySunrise  (04-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiyed View Post
    I need some help and advice from those who have refused an induction or gone against hospital advice. I have ready many great posts with info previously, especially from people like missymack that have really helped me but im am feeling very confused.

I just got home from what was probably one of the most traumatic hospital appointments of my life. I am 40+5 today, my first baby and first pregnancy.

The Dr/OB did not take kindly to my insistance of not being induced. She wanted to book me in tomorrow! She basically said that if i didnt agree to be induced at 40+10 (starting evening of 40+9) then i would be putting the baby in so much risk that it could/would die (and that would be my fault for being so selfish to want a naural labour/birth). The hospital wont agree to any form of monitoring past 40+10.

Now i have had a text book pregnancy up until this point. My BP is fine, baby is fine - good strong heart beat and movement, head is only 2/5 above brim, cervix is still shut and posterior, medium soft. They have booked me in for induction on Tuesday night, after treating me and my partner like we dont care about our baby or our babies health. Asked me if I was ok with the risk that I could take home a dead baby. I cried the whole way home.

Needless to say I am an absolute wreck I have called my GP (who has monitored me the whole pregnancy as I am a GP shared care patient) she is going to give me a check up on Monday morning to see how i am progressing. She cant give me a stech and sweep though, she can only check my cervix to see what its doing and do my normal checks.

I cant believe it has gotten to this point. I dont know what to do! My DP is happy to follow my lead and is super supportive. He really pushed our point with the hospital and told them we will do what we want not what they want. He was furious by the end of the appointment and then had to console me.

Im feeling absolutely lost...... I thought this was supposed to be one of the happiest and exciting times of my life. Instead i am crying, scared and stressed. Im dreading tuesday.
    Do u not trust the Advice of your ob? What is more important a natural delivery or safe delivery? Take a warm bath and do some relaxation and visualize a healthy baby. At the end of the day the delivery doesn't define the mother. I am perplexed by your resolve. Please please trust me your delivery will not change how you perform at the real job...being a mum.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (03-08-2012),blondekelli  (05-08-2012),equinemagic  (04-08-2012),Gruffalo  (03-08-2012),Kez12787  (03-08-2012),mum2mj  (03-08-2012),Ripleigh  (03-08-2012),Stumbleine  (15-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Quite frankly she is full of sh!t about not monitoring you past 40+ 10. She can't make that decision, a public hospital has a duty of care to anyone who turns up. what a nasty cow.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    I totally agree, the public hospital I used for monitoring (I had a planned unassisted birth at home) was very happy to monitor my pregnancy postdates, I went to 41+5 according to when I ovulated and 42+4 according to my lmp. When she was born (a perfectly borning birth) my placenta was perfect she was healthy and in no way over cooked

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (07-08-2012),captainscaptain  (04-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)