+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Forced into induction @ 40+9

I need some help and advice from those who have refused an induction or gone against hospital advice. I have ready many great posts with info previously, especially from people like missymack that have really helped me but im am feeling very confused.

I just got home from what was probably one of the most traumatic hospital appointments of my life. I am 40+5 today, my first baby and first pregnancy.

The Dr/OB did not take kindly to my insistance of not being induced. She wanted to book me in tomorrow! She basically said that if i didnt agree to be induced at 40+10 (starting evening of 40+9) then i would be putting the baby in so much risk that it could/would die (and that would be my fault for being so selfish to want a naural labour/birth). The hospital wont agree to any form of monitoring past 40+10.

Now i have had a text book pregnancy up until this point. My BP is fine, baby is fine - good strong heart beat and movement, head is only 2/5 above brim, cervix is still shut and posterior, medium soft. They have booked me in for induction on Tuesday night, after treating me and my partner like we dont care about our baby or our babies health. Asked me if I was ok with the risk that I could take home a dead baby. I cried the whole way home.

Needless to say I am an absolute wreck I have called my GP (who has monitored me the whole pregnancy as I am a GP shared care patient) she is going to give me a check up on Monday morning to see how i am progressing. She cant give me a stech and sweep though, she can only check my cervix to see what its doing and do my normal checks.

I cant believe it has gotten to this point. I dont know what to do! My DP is happy to follow my lead and is super supportive. He really pushed our point with the hospital and told them we will do what we want not what they want. He was furious by the end of the appointment and then had to console me.

Im feeling absolutely lost...... I thought this was supposed to be one of the happiest and exciting times of my life. Instead i am crying, scared and stressed. Im dreading tuesday.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taiyed For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (06-08-2012),kuhari  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They can't force you to do anything.
    Is this a public hospital?
    I refused induction and the doctor just kept threatening me with everything under the sun. The midwife ended up telling me it's just scare tactics.
    Is there a midwife there you can speak to or a head of department?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry you are going through this
    I'll be interested in replies as I am also on my first pregnancy and my hospitals policy is 40 plus 10 as well for induction.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    They can't force you to do anything.
    Is this a public hospital?
    I refused induction and the doctor just kept threatening me with everything under the sun. The midwife ended up telling me it's just scare tactics.
    Is there a midwife there you can speak to or a head of department?
    Hi janesmum123 - it is a public hospital and im a public patient. Wishing now that i was a private patient (i could have been but was advised it would be a waste of money as the public hospital im allocated to is one of the best).

There is a shared care midwife i could talk to at the hospital although they all seem to tow the same line at that particular hospital. I have considered turning up to one of the other public maternity hospitals here to demand a strech and sweep on Monday morning. Or just going past inducement date and then going to one of the other hospitals when it naturally happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I am not being insensitive but I am just curious as to why one would protest being induced at the pregnancy stage you are at?

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

Alimia  (03-08-2012),blondekelli  (05-08-2012),cam11  (07-08-2012),equinemagic  (04-08-2012),GlitterFarts  (03-08-2012),loumia  (04-08-2012),Stumbleine  (15-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So they won't give you a stretch and sweep but will induce you instead?
    Can you ask for one (or demand)?
    Public hospitals will not refuse you care when in labour.
    You can just not show up and then go once you are in labour. (to the hospital you are booked into)
    Problem with going to a different hospital is that more then likely they will drill you about why you went there etc.. It might be a huge fuss.
    I told my doctor if he books me in for induction I'm not showing up. Maybe say the same to yours.
    Its hard I know I had to be so strong otherwise they would have done what they liked with me.
    How long over do you want to go? Say it's 15 days for example get your husband to firmly state that to them and that you understand the risks .. Blah blah blah but will not be going ahead with induction.
    As for not monitoring you after 10 days pretty sure that's illegal to refuse you care.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (07-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    Sorry I am not being insensitive but I am just curious as to why one would protest being induced at the pregnancy stage you are at?
    I think it's cos full term goes from 37-42 wks. And induced labours are often harder, need epis and end up with a cascade of interventions. Nearly half of induced labours in first time mums end up as emergency cs.

Plus you have to labour on their (hospy) time vs your own body.

I've had an induced labour and a spontaneous one. Hands down the induced labour was horrible and emotionally wrenching.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (07-08-2012),BornToBe  (04-08-2012),Bubbles10  (03-08-2012),RubySunrise  (04-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why dont you just go against their advice but realise there may be consequences to deal with if something goes wrong, or why dont you go and see the Dr again and tell them your fears/concerns and come up with a plan of attack together? You are almost 42 weeks there are reasons you shouldnt be let go too far over edd. Best of luck.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

equinemagic  (04-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    In many healthy pregnancies a woman has not gone into labour because her body/baby is not yet ready to go into labour.
    Being 5 days or 9 days over is not very much.
    Induction is not natural and forces the body to do something is it not ready to do potentially causing many other problems.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (07-08-2012),kbf2plus2  (16-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (03-08-2012),RubySunrise  (04-08-2012),Taiyed  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really didn't want to be induced either and pushed my hospital (public) back to 40+13 after they wanted to induce me at 40+9
    Saying that you're going to take home a dead baby is well out of order though!!! I would def be complaining to a higher authority!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MRR1006 For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (03-08-2012)