+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It really depends on the child, the situation and sometimes how I am feeling too.

Both my kids are very different. DS is cautious, a thinker but lazy if you let him. He prevaricates, overthinks and rarely takes risks. He needs to be pushed to try new things. A softly softly approach would see him afraid to get out of bed. A firm pragmatic approach with clear cut boundries and set deadlines works for him

Dd is nt cautious, a risk taker and headstrong. She is decisive, bucks at boundries and won't take no for an answer. A softer approach and natural consequences works better with her.

There are times, however, when the required guidance needs to be different. It depends on what the aim or goal is at the time.

If I'm on the phone and they start playing up, they both know the rules and immediate timeout is the consequence - there is no softly softly. If I think it's time for a bath and either child has a good reason why the bath time should be delayed I am negotiable so long as we're not trying to get ready to go out etc.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bit of both. I grew up afraid of my dad (his a great man and I love him
    To bits) he was in the raaf and was strict

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both.

The aim is to raise DD in a loving and caring environment, where she can always talk to us/ tell us anything.

I also feel that it is important for kids to know boundaries and expectations, and for DD to know that our expectation is that (for most situations) she behaves in a way that she has been brought up to understand is expected, and that she follows directions.

Of course there will always be exceptional circumstances, etc., but I think it's possible to have a loving, caring, fun home where boundaries are clear too.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    EVERYONE prefers a little bit of ToughLove

My only question is, who is this Softly Softly lady?!

To keep on track, I prefer a mix where appropriate

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

Jakois  (03-08-2012),OJandMe  (03-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (04-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Bit of both depending on all the above.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A mixture of both depending on the child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    A bit of both here too, but mainly softly softly. Or maybe more accurately described firm but loving.

I also had an authoritarian mother that was emotionally and verbally abusive, and to this day, now in my mid 30's, she still scares me. She ruled with fear and I was terrified of her growing up.... although it only worked for a while bc when I hit my teens I went crazy...

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Definitely both.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Both. If DS is complaining about something minor, like "I don't like this cordial" he'll get something along the lines of "You'll get over it" *chuckle*.
    If it's more serious than that, like a frustrated squeal because he can't get his shoes on by himself or something I'll go with something a bit more calming like "Hang on buddy, lets have a look and mummy will help you".

It depends on the situation. I would HATE for my son to not feel like he could come to me with a problem or when he needed help. But at the same time I'm not going to helicopter and do everything for him. How's he going to learn to function by himself if he doesn't get the 'harden up' lesson every now and then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Overall I think I'm quite a relaxed parent.i was very controlled as a child and swore I would never be like this. I give him lots of choices. Some things I'm very fussy about,respect for others and belongings,manners etc.

Parenting is not easy,that's for sure.