+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sunnyskies:
    DD is still in her cot, she isn't showing any signs of wanting to be out.
    She is a shocking sleeper, as in she moves around way to much
    I'm a little afraid of putting her into a bed, I think she will just fall out.
    So at the moment I'm just looking to toilet train her during the day.
    She isn't ready for night time yet I don't think.

Good job on your DS going 2 hours a the shops :Highfive:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she seems to be more interested in going in the toilet rather than a potty I would be encouraging it. Saves having to empty a potty.

As for the not ready for bed until they are 2 1/2 thing, I am sure there are definitley kids like that but my nephew has been in a big bed since 18 months, he's now 2 1/2 and he still hasn't figured out yet that he CAN get out of it by himself. He still waits for his mum or dad to get him. Too funny to see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't start training DS until 2 years 10 months which i regret...by the time he was poo and wee trained he was 3.5 years. I trained DD1 at 2 years 4 months and she was all done in a week, i trained DD2 at exactly 2 years and it took about a month. I think somewhere between 2 and 2 and a half is perfect as they understand but also aren't too old. I also believe it is our job to train them not wait until they think they are ready...my son would still be in nappies at 6 if i let him lol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pigeonpairplusone For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Interesting to read. DD has just turned 2, and is showing some signs. She asks to go to the toilet, and can vocalise what she's done/ needs to do.

I had a go some time back, but I don't think she was physically ready then.

I'm not in any hurry. Of the playgroup we go to, not one child of 26 months and under is toilet trained (out of maybe 30 that I'm thinking of), so I definitely don't think 'everyone' is doing it early.

A friend with older children said that she TT her first child at around 2, and it took a few weeks. With her 2 younger children she left it until after 2.5, and she said it was MUCH easier - they both got it overnight!

I've had other friends say that's the case too. My thoughts are that I 'could' TT DD now if I wanted to take some time with it, but that by leaving it a bit longer it's likely to be easier and happen more quickly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read the whole thread but my personal experience (from working in childcare with children between the ages of 15 mths and 3) is that any time after 2 is a good age to start. Most children that ive looked after who have started before 2 don't really get the concept and it's a struggle, of course there are a few exceptions to this. My dd turns two tomorrow and we've had a few tries but she's not really ready I think, plan on in a few weeks doing thurs fri sat sun block when I'm not working in knickers just to see how she goes. I don't believe in pull ups either they just feel like a nappy I don't see how a child can feel the difference iykwim!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow. Reading all the responses I didn't realise that toileting before 2 was such a big deal. At playgroup, personal friends etc...all the kids are toileting before 2....just thought my environment was normal....perhaps I'm just in the middle of a cluster?

Mind you, I have to say that if you're not toilet training by 3 then you really should get a move on. An entire kindy class of kids over 3 and none of them toileting? Ew.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Honestly, it's all SO individual as to when a child is ready, but I am a firm believer in waiting for cues rather than try to "teach" them to use the toilet before they are ready. I feel that in doing that, you're only going to create more hassles with more accidents, you getting frustrated, them getting frustrated and ultimately setting the process back somewhat.

Personally, I wait until my children show me they are aware of their actions, it usually starts with them telling admitting they've soiled their nappy when I ask them, then it moves to them voluntarily telling me *after* they've soiled their nappy, to them telling me *while* they're soiling their nappy, either my words, or actions, for eg, they have all got to an age where they disappear into another room to do a poo, and then return, or telling me they're weeing, while they're standing there

I have then, taken these cues, to start toilet training, but i've been pretty darn lucky in that i've been able to say to them (the 3 bigger children), "you're a big girl/boy now, so we're not going to use a nappy any more, you can do poos and wees on the toilet now! So remember to tell me if you need to do a poo or a wee and we'll go and use the toilet"

So, we go out and buy a pack of 'big girl/boy' pants, that they get to pick out themselves, we go home, explain what I want them to do again, put their pants on, lots of frequent asking of "do you need to do a wee/poo?" and watching their body language (grabbing themselves, jiggling, sneaking off to other room etc) and taking them when they want to as well as if I think they need it.

We've never had *any* accidents past the first 1 or 2 days, and I put that down to luck and timing. To have, so far, 3 very easily toilet trained children, it's gotta be a combination

DS2 has only started toilet training as of last weekend, except for that 1st day when we had 2 wee accidents due to him being distracted and my being distracted, we have gotten every single wee and poo, in the toilet, without fail during the week.

Night training takes longer though, and the approach I take with that, which has worked both times so far (with DD and DS1) is just to keep putting nappies on them right before bed, and wait until they wake up dry, consistently over a 1-2wk period, then put them in pants overnight and hope for the best. Never had a wet bed yet!

Oh and we just use the 'big' toilet with a children's toilet seat on it. They know they big toilet is for toileting as they see DH and I use it as the younger children see the older siblings using it. We tried using a potty, but it always just confused them

Ultimately, all three of the older children have been completely day trained between the ages of 2 - 2.5 years and completely night trained between the ages of 3 - 3.5 years (though DS2 isn't at this point yet).
    Last edited by Lillynix; 03-08-2012 at 19:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its scarily easy for parents to be not bothered about night training these days. I have an 8 yr old nephew who hasn't had a dry night yet, courtesy of it just being easier to get him 'dry-nites'

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd1 was doing poos in the potty at 14mths. Day TT by 17mths and we had got night TT mostly sorted by 22mths but then dd2 arrived and we've had a regression.

We found dd1 got confused between the toilet and the potty. So with dd2 we will go straight to the toilet with an insert.

Currently I'm trying elimination communication with dd2 (8wks).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Melon View Post
    Maybe try using the toilet instead of the potty, as she knows what the toilet is for, the potty might just be confusing her???
    Agree...