+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Just because you and lots if people you know gound that, doesn't make it a universal truth. It all depends on what we as parents interpret what we see as being 'ready'. For me (and many people I know), our children didn't seem ready and I don't see the rush. He is starting to show an understanding if what it is to use a toilet now at 2 yrs... But before now I would have been 'training' him without him really understanding and being ready himself IMO
    I know it isn't a universal truth...but it is the truth. I find it strange that 'experts' need to make recommndations on such things as if they are universal truth, is all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    I know it isn't a universal truth...but it is the truth. I find it strange that 'experts' need to make recommndations on such things as if they are universal truth, is all.
    Perhaps because they make a career of researching developmental psychology maybe.... I think they're opinions count for something at least... Just a thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Perhaps because they make a career of researching developmental psychology maybe.... I think they're opinions count for something at least... Just a thought.
    You don't need to be rude?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (03-08-2012),HugsBunny  (03-08-2012),Lumpy Melon  (03-08-2012),SugarSkull  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Rachell I've put the potty next to the toilet and have dd go every night before a bath. So far she's done a wee more often then not. I'm just going to introduce it slowly until she gets the idea. Our potty looks like a toilet with a flusher and all lol!!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    You don't need to be rude?
    My thoughts exactly. My DS1 was in a bed 2 weeks before his 2nd birthday and made the transition without any trouble. He also toilet trained around 2.5yo with maybe two accidents.

'experts' tend to deal in theory, not practice and make broad sweeping statements when the truth is that every kid is different.

Also, people with large families would have more of an idea I would think. Just a thought.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Who knew people could get so catty about toilet training.

In MY opinion, they do need to be trained, just the same as using a spoon and fork etc. You show them how to do it and they pick it up when they understand.
    Dd1 was just over 2 and trained day and night within a month of each other. She was already in a big bed (at 17 months) so could get out to go to the toilet at night.
    Dd2 is 18 months and I will start encouraging her in summer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tennelly For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought my boy a potty when he was about 18 mths and he began to tell us when he'd done a poo/wee.

He used it a few times, then ignored it for weeks.

Last week I had a few days free so we went full-on potty training. Undies all day. Lots of accidents, but then one day he just "got it". He now uses the potty 5-6 times per day, but he sleeps in nappies because he wakes up wet, so I'm definately not pushing that just yet. I ask him every 20 mins or so if he needs to wee, and sometimes he goes, sometimes he doesn't. Other times he'll run up to me saying "mummy, wee!" and he'll hop on the potty and go straight away.

He'll nearly 2 years old ( in 2 weeks time). We successfully went to the shops yesterday and today for about 2 hours in undies, no accidents. It's stressful though!!!! Having to keep an eye on him, watch where the toilets are, and we did 3 toilet trips in 1 hour, just to check if he could go, which he didn't, he held it all the way home.

I'm so glad we started early, but I wouldn't have started until I thought he was "ready" for it. No point pushing them if they're not just interested, especially this early.

*oh - and his favourite part is tipping the wee into the big toilet, flushing, and washing his hands. Then he gets a little chocolate button (choc drop) for being so clever. You should see his face light up, he says "I'm clever mummy!!". So darn cute.
    Last edited by sunnyskies; 03-08-2012 at 12:42.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyskies For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (03-08-2012),KillerHeels  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Health professionals/paeds reckon they're not usually ready (psychologically) until about 2 1/2... Same with moving from cot to big bed... Too early and they just get out all the time.
    I don't stake too much in the above. It's not a one size fits all thing.

My boy started tugging at his nappy at 11 months. By 18 months he was using the toilet. We didn't use potties. Basically, we just allowed him to watch us use the toilet and encouraged him to tell us when he needed to go.

A lot of my peers' children are toileting themselves before they are 2 so my child isn't exceptional by any means.

*Sunnyskies, my boy's favourite is the flushing. He presses the button then does a little dance. Haha.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (03-08-2012),HugsBunny  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Melon View Post
    Maybe try using the toilet instead of the potty, as she knows what the toilet is for, the potty might just be confusing her???
    She followed me into the toilet earlier and I put her potty next to me but she still seemed to not understand what the potty was, after I went to the loo I just sat her on there and she was saying "Wee's" she got a bit fed up and I took her off.
    I left her nappy off for about 20 mins and kept a close eye on her.
    In the end she walked to the bathroom and wee'ed on the floor right next to the toilet, she was pretty chuffed about it.
    I will buy a toilet seat insert for her and just keep going with it as she seems to be interested enough.
    She tells us when she is doing a poo or whilst she is doing one so next time I'll sit her on the toilet for that and hope for the best

Quote Originally Posted by Bodelly View Post
    Hi Rachell I've put the potty next to the toilet and have dd go every night before a bath. So far she's done a wee more often then not. I'm just going to introduce it slowly until she gets the idea. Our potty looks like a toilet with a flusher and all lol!!
    Thanks hun.
    Lay is only 1 day younger than Renae so it seems like they are both catching on.
    Good job on her going potty

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Liddybugs For This Useful Post:

kriista  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello. From memory my DS was about 2.5. I tried earlier and it just didn't happen. For a while there I had him in jocks and he would wee and didn't even know he had done a wee. With that I thought if he doesn't even know he had done a wee I knew he wasn't ready as he didn't recognise the sensation. I gave him a couple of months and then tried. i put him in jocks and I set my microwave to every 15 and I took him. I didn't even bother with the potty in the end and just put him on toilet. He still didn't get it and if I missed that clock he would still wet and I thought it was never going to happen. One day he just put himself on and went for both 1's and 2's. they just do it in there own time. Some early some later. My only advice is don't focus it on it too much. The more I tried the more accidents he had. Good luck.