+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When did you start toilet training?

At what age did you bring the potty out and ditch the nappy for a few hours a day?

My dd is 18mo, she knows what poo's and wee's are.
    When I'm on the toilet she is all excited saying "Mum poo-wee" (sorry TMI)
    So I thought today I would bring the potty out..
    She just seems confused by it.
    I have sat her on there saying "Poo's & wee's" making a big song and dance about it.. But she just either gets upset or runs to the toilet and says "Mum Poo's Wee's"

I'm thinking I'm trying to young, but she understands what poo's and wee's are and will often tell me when she has done a poo in her nappy etc.
    So I don't know how to continue from here on?

Do I just let her run around nappy less and when she does a wee I just take her and sit her on the potty until she gets the idea?
    Or just wait until she is a bit older?

I have never toilet trained before, this area of parenting is all new to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I left it too late with DS1, he was nearly 3 and it was hard. The others were around 2 or less and it was very easy to train day and night simultaneously. DD2 who is 20 months could definitely be toilet trained now but she is having an operation and cast on next week so I willhave to leave it untila fter that.

I do a rough version of the three day potty training but we go straight to the big toilet with an insert

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe try using the toilet instead of the potty, as she knows what the toilet is for, the potty might just be confusing her???

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I tried with DD1 at around 2 (several times) but it was a huge failure. She toilet trained at 3 very easily though. I think it depends on the child, some are ready early and others just aren't.

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I waited until they were interested. All three were toilet trained day time around 2 1/2. Night times took a lot longer. Also my youngest prefers the potty where the other two were toilet learners. Each child is different

Thanks
    Reviews
    We waited until she started asking to go to the toilet (she's never been interested in the potty despite us having it in the bathroom since she was about 18 months old).

One day a few weeks ago, just before her 2nd birthday, she said to me she needed to wee and ran off to the toilet! Since then, it's been pretty good. She'll still have accidents, but majority of the time she'll go to the toilet.

As for nappy free time, we've been pretty much doing that for a long time, especially when it's warmer. She loves having no clothes on at all and we just make sure we ask her if she needs to go to the toilet regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll wait til DS (almost 2) lets me know he's ready.

Health professionals/paeds reckon they're not usually ready (psychologically) until about 2 1/2... Same with moving from cot to big bed... Too early and they just get out all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a Paeds nurse and I've trained all of mine by 2.5 years..... Friends have waited for their kids to initiate and one child was 4 before he started. I firmly believe it is called toilet training as we need to teach them. I have always done a version of the 3 day tt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Health professionals/paeds reckon they're not usually ready (psychologically) until about 2 1/2... Same with moving from cot to big bed... Too early and they just get out all the time.
    I find that strange. All my kids have gone into beds from the age of 12 months and with the exception of DS1 toilet trained before or around 2...and I know lots of other who have too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ffrenchknickers View Post
    I find that strange. All my kids have gone into beds from the age of 12 months and with the exception of DS1 toilet trained before or around 2...and I know lots of others who have too!
    Just because you and lots if people you know think that, doesn't make it a universal truth. It all depends on what we as parents interpret what we see as being 'ready'. For me (and many people I know), our children didn't seem ready and I don't see the rush. He is starting to show an understanding if what it is to use a toilet now at 2 yrs... But before now I would have been 'training' him without him really understanding and being ready himself IMO

Same with moving to a big bed - he would just get out all the time before now and so I think he needs to ba able to understand that being in a big bed means he can't just get up all through the evening and during the night.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 03-08-2012 at 12:19.