+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've put my little man into care from April this year and only one day a week. He has had two bouts of tonsilitis since and spent more time at home than at care. And the carriers of tonsilitis are contagious until they show symptoms. I notified the service once I had the diagnosis but why didn't the other parents?
    Possibly if you could keep them at home for the day and see how they go. Everyone is in the same boat.
    We all have to work or study and childcare costs us money.
    When is a runny nose just a runny nose? How can you tell?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The centre where i send my child has clear rules about not sending your child in if they have had a fever in the past 24 hours. It makes me mad how people send their children to daycare when they have been ill within the past 24 hours. If they have a fever it's an obvious sign that they are fighting some kind of virus off. Most illnesses effect people differently too, so for me it might be nothing but for someone who suffers from asthma etc it could be a lot worse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Affect*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

If I kept my children home every time they had a runny nose, I'd be unemployed.
    Hah, how true is that! I think my daughter has had a fairly permanent runny nose for the last 12 months.

My day care has a policy on fevers and vomiting, but even then they do look at it case by case. Green noses are out though, but clear is fine. I keep my daughter home when she's out of sorts, lethargic etc - even without a temp, but if she's perky and happy with a runny (clear) nose, the bag is packed and we are all systems go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah with green snot, Jasper only seems to get green snot. Like disgusting boogers..all the time. As in.... I really can't remember the last time he didn't have a gross green boogery nose. It's gross.

I have kept him home though when it turned into running flood of green snot. That was last spring so probably just hayfever + the natural colour of his nose gold made it seem like it was a lot worse that it was, but I really don't think he's ever had "clear snot".

Anyhoo... hope you all enjoyed my detailed description of his boogers. I hope nobody reads this around a meal time

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always believe that a clear runny nose is the start of a virus and the green is post infection and the body is expelling. I think people run with green snot cause it's an easy tangible assessment but I think it's completely off target. My boy is just getting over a cold and his snot has just turned green but her has turned the corner and running around like a mad man.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (04-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My centre is vomiting, fever or diarrhea they can't be there. Other than that they can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

If I kept my children home every time they had a runny nose, I'd be unemployed.
    This!

Many a parent at my DS childcare will dose their child up on Nurofen in the morning and send them when they have a somewhat mild illness.

Our centre does have a policy- vomiting & diorhhea is a 24 hour exclusion after the last episode; they are more than happy to ring if the child has been mildly unwell theday before; ok in the mornng but declines through the day.

We have a bulkbilling Dr in our area so if DS is needs more than 2 doses of panadol to break a fever or an overly runny nose / combnation of other symptoms I take him in and am guided by what the Dr recommends. Plus the med cert helps if I do have to keep him home.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was always taught that green snot = non-contagious.
    At a day care centre it seems like you are always walking around wiping kids noses constantly anyway. Its gross....especially when a toddler takes their dummy out and the two trails of green snot connect to it

11. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I was always taught that green snot = non-contagious.
    At a day care centre it seems like you are always walking around wiping kids noses constantly anyway. Its gross....especially when a toddler takes their dummy out and the two trails of green snot connect to it
    Welcome to my house and work! Lol I have a toddler and work in the toddlers room. Crazy I know!