+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum View Post
    If he has a runny nose he is likely to still be contagious. I would see how he is and if in doubt call child care and be guided by their policies.

oh gee is that true

half my workplace is contagious then

Our centre says a slight runny nose is ok but not with a temperature or other signs of unwell, so thats what I go by.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to soccer mum For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I was unsure this week whether or not I should send bub to daycare as he is at the tail end of a cold (runny nose, cough, he never had a temp at any stage). So I called the director and asked about their illness policy. She said as long as he doesn't have a temp and his snot is not green to send him along.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont understand the green snot thing??
    You are most contagious the first few days of a cold, you're actually contagious before symptoms start.
    Green snot comes at the end of a cold where you probably are not contagious any longer as the contagious stage is 48 to 72 hours.
    Therefore the policy should actually be to keep kids home when a runny nose first develops.
    Very strange.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    There is no policy on snot at my children's daycare.

If I kept my children home every time they had a runny nose, I'd be unemployed.

My centre has a 24 hour exclusion policy for fever.

I think everyone's definition of sick is different. My kids were sick since Friday night with bad colds, and both were miserable, waking all the time, sleeping late, lethargic, now I know they were sick then, and would not have sent them to daycare if I worked on weekends, but others think you should keep your children home at the first sign of a slight runny nose, even though they are running around like normal.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 02-08-2012 at 21:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If DS had those signs and was miserable I would probably keep him home. For the past week DS has had a cough and runny nose (which I have taken him to the doctor for, its post viral so not contagious). Hes running around like a maniac. Certainly doesnt feel ill, just looks it occassionally. Hes gone to daycare everyday.

So entirely your call. I agrewith BigRedV, if I had to keep DS home everytime he had a runny nose I'd be unemployed also. I always leave a little note or tell the girls to call me as soon as things look like they might be getting any worse. I rarely, if ever, get a call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    When DS has a fever I try my best to give him one extra day to recover because he tends to get better then come down again - I like to check he's had at least one day where he hasn't had it again.

Like BigRedV though sometimes I have little choice. I'm the only regular income earner in my household, if I kept him home at the sign of a sniffly nose we would be in trouble. Everyone in my family has used up sick leave to help me out (bless them) so it sucks but sometimes you've got to send them with a runny nose. I'd not work the entire Winter if this were the case.

He only picks up bugs from school so most of the kids have already either had it or will catch it from another. I too don't consider a snotty nose as being 'sick'. My son would have very little chance at education if this were the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah if Jasper is bouncy running around happy etc I'll send him. Even with a runny nose. Because he Always has a runny nose.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks everyone

He was in great spirits this morning and not at all sick apart from the clear, dribbly nose so he went in.
    I told the girls what had happened and they said they'd keep an eye on him but that he looks pretty much fine.
    So lots of nose wiping, but they were fine with him being there. Thank for all of the advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do that too if I'm unsure I tell them and say please call me if he seems at all off I'll come get him asap.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouNeedIsLove View Post
    I dont understand the green snot thing??
    You are most contagious the first few days of a cold, you're actually contagious before symptoms start.
    Green snot comes at the end of a cold where you probably are not contagious any longer as the contagious stage is 48 to 72 hours.
    Therefore the policy should actually be to keep kids home when a runny nose first develops.
    Very strange.
    This is what I have been told too.. I work in a cc centre and its a horrible cycle.. Kids come sick.. Make other kids sick who then make the original kids sick again... Drives me insane because I then get sick and then my ds gets sick and so on.. If possible id keep him home maybe another day.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Last edited by littlegreengeisha; 03-08-2012 at 20:58.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to littlegreengeisha For This Useful Post:

Kez12787  (03-08-2012)