+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Devopmetally and Physical Delays In young Children.

Hi

After Finally Seeing a pead (after a 2 and a half yr wait) yesterday and finally organising hearing and speech therapy and early intervention.

The pead we saw did a couple of tests and examinations of ds and came out with a that ds is 12 months delayed both mentally and physically we knew he was delayed but 12 months did shock us at first but then when the shock wears off and start to think yes ds is much more like a 2 yr old then a 3 yr old.

Over the nest couple of months we are jam packed with gp app's OT apps ophthalmologist app endo app the speech, hearing and early intervention appointments so we do have a rather full schedule and lots of people helping.
    And Ds's pead said to rebook back in a couple of months since we are going to be very busy.

It's just a bit confusing really like it's no ones fault we all understand that just how far behind he is it kinda kicks me in the guts a bit more iykwim but that's the way ds is and we love him the way he is just a bit of a shock to actually hear it from a pead.

So i was wondering if there are any mums or dads on here that have children with both physical and mental delays or just the one and i would love to hear how you deal with it like what have any of your Ot's suggestions peads suggestions and what you do to help your child out from day to day? or do you not do anything to different?

Thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I just read your post and although I can't help, I thought I'd bump it for you

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hey

DD is Global development delayed, eary intervention is the best thing for them, as much OT and PT and ST as you can access if you can afford private so that as well, Also get them to give you excersizes to do at home as well.

How we have dealt with it is just one day at a time and never just taking therapists or drs word for it if they say that my DD wont do things, we just look at it as she cant do it yet doesnt mean she never will

Its a hard road but you will get there one day at a time xx

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (28-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks nowhere and break the mould.

Well we have a bit of an update ds passed his hearing test with flying colours.
    we unfortunately didn't get into early intervention even though every single doctor ot Pead etc sent a referral out so this means he might not get seen from ei till next August or later which is really hard as ds will be 4 by then. Though we are also on a waiting list for ecit play group where they have early intervention teachers speech therapists ots and all so hopefully we get onto that.
    Coreys ot has got a couple of exercises for ds to do so hoping that will help.
    We still haven't got an appointment for Corey's endo yet which is frustrating we meant to have one every 3 months but it's been 4 months and Counting.
    And another thing day has been doing recently which isn't good is self.harming himself when he gets frustrated or hits headbutts kicks me or the floor or the walls and it never seems to hurt him we are going to the gp tomorrow for a check up I am going to ask about it to.
    So yes that's what's been happening very busy here .