+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 8+4 but measuring 5+6 no hb detected abnormal sac? Please help

hoping someone can help me, my last period was on the 02/06 and im supposed to be 8+4 weeks pregnant. When I went to the toilet this morning there was a little blood on the paper with mucous and tiny little blobs of blood in it, so I went to my docs and got a referral for a scan which i had this arvo. He couldnt pick up anything through my belly (not enough water) so we did dildo cam and he found the sac and bubs but only measuring 5+6 days? No heartbeat detected which I know is normal for that date but they dont line in with mine. I dont think i ovulated late as I got my pos at 4.5 weeks. He also said the sac looks abnormal, what can this mean? whats stumping me though is i had bloods done monday and my hcg was 41,000 which sounds pretty good right? Is there a chance that im not losing my babe? No bleeding as such just this morning when i wiped...im so confused

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could your dates be out?

You probably need a follow up HCG test to see if your levels are rising sufficiently, falling or staying the same.

My missed miscarriage was discovered at about 8+3 weeks and measuring 5+3 or so. No heartbeat or fetal pole, no bleeding until 8 days later. I had 2 x bloods done (had fallen slightly) and then an internal scan a week later where the sac had changed shape (body was reabsorbing). I started to bleed the next day and had a d&c a few days after that.

I'd be wanting more information from my Dr in your circumstances and asking for another blood test to provide comparison.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have experienced similar and unfortunately it does not have a happy ending. At my first dating scan I was measuring a couple of weeks behind but I didn't think anything of it and at my 12 week scan it was discovered that I had a missed miscarriage and I had a partial molar... signs of this are an abnormal placenta and high hcg results. I really hope you don't get to experience this though and it all works out good for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cheetara what is a partial molar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I copied this from a website for you as it explains it better, it's a bit long... you probably don't have this though as it is quite rare

'A molar pregnancy is a rare complication. It happens when an egg and a sperm meet at fertilisation, but the cells do not grow in a way that can support a pregnancy. In a normal pregnancy, the fertilised egg has 23 chromosomes from the mother and 23 from the father, making a total of 46. In a molar pregnancy the wrong number of chromosomes come together, and there are abnormalities in the cells that grow to form the placenta.

There are two types of molar pregnancy:
    complete molar pregnancy
    partial molar pregnancy
    In a complete molar pregnancy, the fertilised egg has no chromosomes from the mother and the chromosomes from the father's sperm are duplicated. This means there are two copies of chromosomes from the father. In this case, there's no embryo, amniotic sac or normal placenta. Instead, the placenta forms a mass of cysts that looks like a cluster of grapes. These cysts can be seen on an ultrasound scan.

In most partial molar pregnancies, the fertilised egg has 23 chromosomes from the mother but a duplicated set from the father. This means there are a total of 69 chromosomes instead of the normal 46. This can happen when chromosomes from the sperm are copied or when two sperm fertilise the same egg.

In a partial molar pregnancy, a placenta will start to grow. This means an embryo does begin to develop. There may be a fetus, or some fetal tissue, or an amniotic sac. But even if there is a fetus, it is important to understand that it simply doesn't have the right genetic make-up to survive.

You might also have severe nausea and vomiting (called hyperemesis), and your belly may swell up. This is because the placenta is growing fast, making your uterus expand. The fast-growing placenta pushes up your levels of the pregnancy hormone human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG), and this is what makes you so nauseous.

A complete molar pregnancy can usually be seen on an early ultrasound scan.Your hCG levels will be much higher than in a normal pregnancy. Measuring these levels with a blood test is one way of finding out if you have a complete molar pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, so sorry you are going through this. There may be a long shot that this pregnancy will be ok, but given your dates are so far out, and you got a positive hpt so early, probably means that the pregnancy won't be viable. The abnormally shaped sac also indicates that the pregnancy is not progressing normally. An hcg level such as yours is pretty normal and on its own doesn't indicate if things are ok.
    Just in reply to the pp regarding molar pregnancy, there doesn't seem to be anything indicating that so I wouldn't worry about a molar.

I'm sorry I don't have a more positive reply for you

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

angelspirit  (04-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just in reply to the pp regarding molar pregnancy, there doesn't seem to be anything indicating that so I wouldn't worry about a molar.

I replied regarding a molar as she mentioned an abnormal sac, measuring smaller than expected and very high hcg results. I merely mentioned it and then she asked for more information. Her situation sounded very similar to mine when I had the partial molar diagnosed. So don't brush me off. Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its ok, thankyou girls, i appreciate both of your replies, hoping to have more info today after results come in from the scan yesterday x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck, let us know how you get on
    Last edited by Cheetara; 03-08-2012 at 08:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    sorry Cheetara, I didn't mean to offend you and didn't intend to 'brush you off'. i just didn't want to op to panic unnecessarily about a molar pregnancy.

Sorry OP, I didn't mean to be controversial i was just trying to help.