+ Reply to Thread
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help with toddler day sleep please.

Hi all I'm hoping lovely bubhub might have some ideas for me regarding DDs day sleep.

She's 2 yo (26mnths) and she's transitioning between sleep needs and I'm just not sure what to do.

Some days (daycare days) she doesn't have a sleep & she's fine. Sometimes a bit hyperactive at night time but easy to put to bed at 7pm.

When she's at home, she varys so much. I usually try to put her to bed when she starts getting cranky at everything (around 1pm) and I have to wake her at 4pm and she goes to bed at 8pm. If I let her sleep past 4pm, shell be up to 10pm. No thanks. BUT she carries on until about 7pm. So for 3 hours straight she's cranky, moody and clingy.

If I put her to bed earlier (then 1pm) she will not sleep. Shell jump around & play in her cot and call out (or climb out) basically she's not tired enough.

I'm just over the mood swings :sigh: I can't win.

I'm assuming she's cranky when I wake her up because she's still tired. But what do I do?

Let her sleep longer and just deal with her up late?
    Wake her earlier then 4pm? I don't know why that'd work though.
    She I try skipping the nap all together? Tbh I don't know what would happen if I did that, since I put her to bed when she starts playing up.. Do you think shed just play up till bedtime?

The only 'good' days we have is when she has a 40 min nap in the car and that's it. She's cranky when she wakes up for about 20mins but fine after that.

Anyway sorry for the long post. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump?!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS is 3, but we are having nap dramas too. He often gets too tired to skip the nap and is consequently very cranky for the whole afternoon, or he becomes too alert after a nap and wants to stay up late . I find it stressful if he is still awake and bouncing from the walls past 8.30/9pm, so I would rather just skip the nap where possible.

At this point, we have been skipping the nap and having an hour or so of 'quiet time' in place of it.

We also tried the technique of shortening his nap (waking him after a little while, so just a little cat nap to recharge), but I think it made him crankier than ever.

The quiet time seems to be the best solution for us at the moment...it means he has time for his brain to kind of wind down a bit during the day, without fully recharging from a nap. Then at bed at 7pm he goes down with no complaint.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!
    Three hours sound like a lot for her to be napping during the day. I would think that she is getting into a really deep sleep and this might be why she is cranky when woken. I never let my kids sleep that long, two hours during the day max, though mine usually wake after one and a half. Maybe try giving her a shorter nap.
    At that age my eldest started to be a bit erratic with needing a nap, but then went back to needing a nap and has only just grown out of needing one at all in the last year (4).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to suggest quiet time. Put on a DVD or just put her in her room with some books and toys to play.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my DD is 26 months too, and trying not to have her sleeps. We lay down, and she will generally rest for anywhere between 30mins and 2 hours, but its not easy! I lay down and nap, and let her do what she wants.
    Hoping to keep the day sleep for when bellyfruit arrives

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry this might be a silly question but how do you make a toddler have quiet time?

And she doesn't have a baby gate on her bedroom door so if I put her in there I'd have to close the door to stop her from conning out.. And to make a long story short.. I can't close the door to the bathroom for 5 mins without her getting upset/can't see mummy.

We have had some success napping on the lounge together, but it requires me to lie on the lounge with her. Maybe I could try shifting out from under her once she's asleep.. That might work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quiet time is good to spend with mum as it is a good way to do some extra bonding.
    With DS, when he skips his nap, I give him a bowl of plain popcorn and a drink and put him in his room with quiet music and some books.
    If he's not interested, I put Toy Story or Cars on and he'll watch that with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All kids have different sleep needs. My nearly 22 month old has an 1.5 hr sleep if she has slept well at night. She'll sleep longer if she's been up during the night (teething or something developmental) but I never let her sleep longer than 2 hours or she won't settle well for her evening bedtime.

She goes to daycare twice a week and mostly naps for 45-60 mins. Those days I make sure she has dinner, bath and bedtime a little earlier to make up for that lack of daysleep. No way could she get away with no nap or just having quiet time, she's be going nuts at evening bedtime. I figure those short naps only happen a few times a week so that's ok.
    Last edited by danik; 03-08-2012 at 22:32.