+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding after weaning

Hello ladies,

Last week I decided to wean my 12 month DD, I was pregnant so supply had been dropping, and am going away for work in a month for a few days so would be unable to bf her during that trip (she doesn't take a bottle/cup). The timing seemed perfect.

The day after weaning I found out I had a missed miscarriage. Had a d&c the following day and now a week later I am feeling sad to have lost two very special things in one week.

I am thinking of reintroducing a morning feed, but the motivation is probably 50% for me and 50% for my DD - she always loved bf. I am concerned that when she starts again she will want to bf more often, which I guess is ok but I am so thankful not to have to feed her to sleep anymore and prefer to keep it that way. I have loved the freedom of not bf but I miss it every day.

Also I don't want to confuse her as I will be going away for that trip and also i want to fall pregnant again as soon as possible, which will likely mean weaning again in a few months (if we are lucky to get pg again soon).

I am rambling, I guess what I want to know is do I go with my heart and start feeding her again, or go with my head? I think I know the answer but I suppose I need to hear it from someone else.

Thanks in advance for the advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Firstly I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage, so very sad.

I also stopped breastfeeding as I was pregnant again, fell pregnant when ds was 10 months, fully weaned by 12 months. So I kind of know how you are feeling. The guilt I had stopping was bad but to have a miscarriage on top of that would have been truly horrible.

The following couple of weeks after fully stopping I kept thinking I should just go back to doing the morning feed, even though ds was perfectly fine and happy having cow's milk from a sippy cup and tbh was sleeping better then ever.

Looking back now I'm very glad I didn't guilt myself into going back to b/f because for me it was very easy to wean and as you said the timing felt very right for the both of us.

I hope this helps and just remember only you know what's right for you and your child, go with what you feel is the best.

Good luck ttcing when the time comes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the response happymum. When I got home from work tonight and really thought about it, all the grief over losing the Bub and my bf relationship came spilling out. I realised that I needed to resume bf, so decided to start tomorrow morning.

When DD got home I heard about her unsettled day and she was very clingy and trying to open my top looking for boobies! So it was a no brainer to bf her tonight, and we both were better for it. Strangely, my bleeding started up again. Reminds me of bf after childbirth - anyone out there experience this??

Anyhow, rambling again! Thanks for the advice and best of luck with your new baby

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zee153 For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (03-08-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by zee153 View Post
    Strangely, my bleeding started up again. Reminds me of bf after childbirth - anyone out there experience this??
    Yes I have it from the same thing hormones being released causing the uterus to contract

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought so thermo! The human body is so fascinating

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Two losses in one week..I can totally understand you going back to bfing. Enjoy your time with your little one. xxx