+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pram required??

Ok so I don't know tooo much about AP but I'm keen to follow this method of parenting. Especially baby wearing. I tend to find prams a PITA when I've gone out with friends and their LOs before.

I'm planning on getting a baby k-tan sling.

Do I really need to spend in excess of $500 on a pram if I mainly intend on baby wearing at least for as long as bubs isn't too heavy? (I have back problems)

Surely I can make this decision once bubs is here anyway? But have heard some prams can take around 6-8 weeks to come into stock?

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I practice AP and I do use a stroller. When I meet friends or mothers group for lunch it's easy to have DD in the stroller so she can have a snooze and I can eat. Also, DH likes taking her for walks in the stroller as do her grandparents. I love using the Ergo but there are certain situations where the stroller just works better

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FutureMa For This Useful Post:

Sarelou  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's handy to have a pram, but you could possibly wait until after bub is born to find the right one.

I babywore DS heaps when he was little in a sling, and when he got bigger in the ergo. I bought a cheapy pram before he was born and didn't use it that often - I find them a PITA at shopping centres etc. When he was about 9 or 10 months I splashed out and bought myself a moutain buggy as my main mode of transport is walking (up to 12km a day), so for swimming lessons/ meet-ups etc I need a decent pram to carry all the stuff! DS is nearly 19 months and I still wear him sometimes, but I couldn't live without my pram
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 02-08-2012 at 12:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think having some sort of a stroller would be good, makes it easier carrying all the stuff with you Maybe look at second hand ones to save money..
    Also I'd suggest looking at some other carriers as well, the ktan is stretchy right? Stretchy carriers are really only suited for very small babies, so if you want to wear bub for a while something more supportive would be good. Go check out the facebook group babywearing buy sell swap (i think that's what it was called), there's heaps of good info on there!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunbun For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (02-11-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You'll need a pram for all the stuff you might want to carry, it can be hard shopping carry a baby, nappy change stuff and bags of shopping. I use the ergo pocket for one nappy and a glad snap bag of wipes, my purse and phone but it can be a juggling act if you throw in a shopping bag or 2 ESP when bubs wants to feed or if you want to drink a coffee I do trips back to the car but it can be a pita.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also bought a mountain buggy but not until DD was 1. Before that we just used the ergo and had no use for a pram at all. DD is now 19 months and we use the pram less than once a week. If we lived closer into town we'd probably use it more and the car less. We may use it more when she's older and heavier and I hope she'll start napping in it more consistently so that I can exercise more. I'd say that a pram is definitely not essential and I personally wouldn't bother with one before 6-12 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I basically carried my DS for the first 11 months of his life. I didn't have a car or licence and there was no was i was going to brave taking a pram on public transport. I still had a pram though. I would use it if we were just going to the local shops to pick up a few things and even just for going for walks which we did most afternoons.
    I think they are still handy to have although i couldn't justify spending $500 on one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i tried baby wearing as well (i have back problems too) but found once the baby got to a certain weight, i couldn't carry her for long due to my back starting to ache.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also if your gonna have more than one bub with a closeish age gap you'll probably want to wear new bub and may still need a pram for older baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies. That's the other thing I was considering, perhaps just a cheap stroller around $100. I don't mind splashing the cash if it will be well used but I don't want to buy a really nice expensive pram if its going to sit there unused.. (I was looking at the Baby City Elite I think its called). I may start with a cheap stroller and then if its getting lots of use, I can always upgrade I guess.